Travel Insurance to USA on Pembrolizumab for Melanoma

• 5 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Any advice or recommendations for getting travel cover. My husband has had his first 6 weekly Pembro immunotherapy treatment. Due for his second treatment this week. He’s well & fit to travel. No cancer detected on CT/MRI scan after the WLE & lymph node biopsy. 
Staysure, our existing company declined cover. Going through the list of cancer cover companies & haven’t found one yet who will cover him.so frustrating!!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A holiday to America sounds lovely but unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis.

Have you had a chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you  have been going the through the list of suggested providers and spoke to someone at BIBA. So far only one company will insure my husband for the US, but it will exclude all pre existing conditions. So if we go down that route it means we just have to take the risk ourselves if he needs any medical care relating to his cancer. Not ideal

I have also been looking at some American companies who offer travel cover while visiting the US as a UK resident. Looks quite interesting.

I will report back on what I find

I would be interested to know if anyone else has gone down the US insurance route?

• Our insurance company have done the same for me, but I have found cover (be it expensive) through All Clear Insurance Services Ltd 0800 2942650 - they were very helpful and asked pertinent questions (in House) not the generic ones when many of the high street insurers seem to use Verisk for medical screening.

• We had no luck with them, but after speaking to a very knowledgeable chap called Nick at BIBA we have found a policy through Travel Medical.

It’s not cheap but as we’re going to the US it’s a lot less than the potentially extortionate medical fees if we need emergency medical treatment while there. 

• We had no luck with this route. They did not cover cancer Unamused