Travel insurance uk to Spain

• 5 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi all 

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on travel insurance . 

im looking at travelling to Spain im currently undergoing chemotherapy and still will be when travel . I’ve tried searching the web with no luck and if anyone could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated:) 

thanks all 

Neil 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A holiday to Spain sounds lovely but, unfortunately, as you've found it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I wouldn't recommend travel with chemo , the amount of people who are travelling with you , you are extremely hight risk,  my oh doesn't go out and I brought in a infection and he ended up in hospital, we went away just before him having  chemo and will wait until it finishes the some weeks after,  honestly not worth the risk 

• Thanks Tina for your reply and advice it’s greatly appreciated , I have spoken with my consultant and oncology nurse and have advised I’m ok to travel, and have managed to find insurance (£1000) I know it’s a lot but I see it as I may not be able to do this next year with my children so it’s a risk worth taking imo. I can appreciate everyone is different and yes it’s a risk with my having chemo but my next treatment isn’t due for 3 weeks and travel out Tuesday givin me plenty of time . 

time will tell I guess but thanks again means alot the advice 

thanks

neil 

• Hi Neil.  I am in a similar position to you.  May I ask the name of the company you managed to get insurance through, so I can make enquiries please?  Many thanks.

• Hi Caz , yea sure pj hayman, there number is on the biba.com site or should be able to contact direct and it’s the free spirit policy. I’ve ended up going for a week instead of two and that changes cost to £557 . Im currently by the pool now enjoying it , flight was fine no issues I feel good and even been swimming . Recommend flight socks and just drink loads of water and walk about a bit on flight . Hope get sorted any questions please feel free to contact me. I’ll be using the company agaiin thanks Neil