Travel insurance for a cruise

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My husband & I would like to go on our very first cruise, but do you book the cruise first then look for travel insurance or is it the other way round. 

My husband has kidney cancer, well that's were it started. He had stage 3, his kidney removed. since the little beggar keeps reappearing in other parts of his body. The latest is in his spine which effects his legs etc. Would this still be classed as Kidney cancer. 

But I'm confused do i book holiday or get insurance?? I've always booked holidays making sure I can cancel them just incase.

• Hi 

A cruise sounds lovely but, unfortunately, as it can be harder to get travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis it's always best to make sure your husband will be able to get insurance before you book any holiday. 

I don't know if you've had a chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your husband's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your husband's doctor saying that he is well enough to travel. This could come from his cancer team or GP.

Do let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Thank you for your information, I will look into it via the link.

Hope you are keeping strong. X

Jodie97

Sending big hugs to you all