Finding travel insurance to take my son to Ireland

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi can anyone recommend a travel insurance that will hopefully insure my son, he has autism mental health problems and has terminal but treatable colonrectal plus maybe lymphoma. He wants to go and see our nonbiological family just for a week. Can anyone recommend an insurance company or companies I could try to get us both insured with . 

• Just a thought...  Where in Ireland are you travelling to?  I assume you are a UK resident.  If it is not too far from the border and it is very unlikely that you son will need emergency treatment, i.e. life threatening situation, why not just come back across the border to Northern Ireland and into the UK health system?

Don't forget you can also use your EHIC/GHIC in the Republic if necessary.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi

A trip to Ireland sounds like a great idea but unfortunately it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had a chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you Peter. They are not far from Dublin. Think it's too far to cross the border. We have the EHIC which we could use it's just if he suddenly became unwell. 

• Thank you Latchbrook for your reply. Will have a look and once sorted will let you know how I got on