Travel insurance for people with a 12 month prognosis... it out there?

• 7 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Good morning everyone

I am trying to get some insurance so I can go to Madeira for a week in June with my husband whi has Oesophageal Cancer. He was told earlier this year he probably had 12 months.

I have been phoning some insurance companies but it seems the reason they won't insure is because of a short life prognosis. Has anyone else experienced this or managed to get insurance?

The crazy thing is that he is generally absolutely fine, apart from dumping after eating and a cough because it is in his oesophagus. 

We would also love one more trip to the Florida Keys but now the insurance issue seems to suggest this won't be possible Disappointed

As an aside the life insurance policy failed to pay out because despite a less than 12 months prognosis, as the policy ends in October, they won't pay out if the prognosis exceeds the policy date in final year of insurance (which it does by a few months).... how disappointing

Thanks

Lesley

• Hi Lesley and a very warm welcome to the travel insurance group

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. 

I don't want to be insensitive but has your husband actually been told by his consultant that he has less than 12 months to live? The reason I ask this is because if you look at this post from Mitzie10 to someone else she says:

"If your husband has been told there are no more treatment options left and/or treatment is stopped and he is given a timeframe then that is probably considered terminal.
    If your husband is still receiving treatment, then he is not terminal.
    I am treatable but not curable but most certainly not terminal. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere Insurance companies consider less than six months as terminal."

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as that's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I do hope you can get some reasonably priced holiday insurance so that you can go on this holiday. Let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes the consultant did say that to him but he is having chemo and she did say she might consider doing another round of chemo in a few months if things stay stable.

They provided a report to the life insurance company so they could pay the claim - I did read it and it clearly said less than 12 months. Ironic the insurance co were never going to pay because there is a clause in the policy, that they won't pay out for a 12 mth diagnosis if this exceeds the policy expiry in final year if insurance.

I have phoned about three companies now. The last one might provide cover once his chemo is finished but will be £1000 for a week in Madeira, America prob £3000

• It's certainly a pain having to spend ages phoning the insurance companies but this post is the most recent post from someone with a terminal diagnosis who has got insurance. Have you tried the insurance company they've recommended?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for this thread. I couldn't get through on the phone but I have just gone through all the questions online and declared his condition and the quote is £30!! I can't believe it. Looks like we might be off to Madeira after all!

• Fantastic!!!!

Community Champion Badge

• Strange how people are getting insurance,  he's been rejected as most won't when there's chemo to be done as future treatment 

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that you're struggling to get travel insurance.

Have you had a chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge