ANTIGUA HOLIDAY

• 6 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hya. A routine scan has just diagnosed low volume lung metastasis which originated from cervical cancer. I’m getting another scan in June before starting Chemo. I feel completely normal and even still run every night. Problem is that I have just booked a holiday to Antigua ( on doctors orders Grin ) but can’t get travel insurance under £4000 !!! Which I think is ridiculous. I’ve tried every company recommended. Would it be ok just to get normal insurance but not declare my health situation ? 

• Hi I’m sorry to hear your diagnosis but good on you for keeping yourself fit and active.  It’s such a nightmare getting insurance especially when your doctor is telling you to get away for a nice break.  
    I got my travel insurance through insurance with this year and previously through Saga (I’m over 50) 

I think if you don’t declare your health issue, if you become ill with anything other than cancer it would be void as you haven’t declared pre-existing conditions.   Insurance companies will do what ever they can to avoid paying out so I would be very careful. 

• I know it’s a difficult one but I’m desperate to go and enjoy myself while I’m feeling good before my treatment starts. I’m 47 so too young for Saga. If I hadn’t had the routine scan I wouldn’t even know I was ill. Very frustrating. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if the companies that you say you have tried are those in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Lots of people here recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I think you'll find when you look at the terms and conditions of any travel insurance provider they'll say that you're not covered if you fail to disclose a pre-existing medical condition, or that you're waiting for tests, or the results of tests, etc.

I do hope you can get some reasonably priced holiday insurance so that you can go on this holiday. Let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Speak to your current insurers (if you have one).  I spoke to mine (through Nationwide banking) and they will insure me for all risks except related to my H&N cancer.  In my particular situation I am comfortable about that as it is incredibly unlikely that I will need treatment abroad for the cancer and I plan to only book last minute to reduce my risk of having to cancel.

If you don't speak to them and get assurance then almost certainly if you have to claim for anything it will initially be rejected and you will have a fight you don't want on your hands.

Peter
  • Are you sorted yet Wally? 

• I spent hours on the phone to insurers but all either wouldn’t insure me or quoted ridiculous prices. So I have just gone for basic insurance. I have just been for a 10 mile run so it’s not like I’m not fit to travel.