I need some help

• 5 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi

This is the first time I’ve ever joined a forum but I’m hoping you may be able to help as you are in similar situations.My husband spent many hours yesterday trying to get one weeks insurance for a  trip to Fuerteventura. I am diagnosed with secondary breast cancer which is in my bones. On each occasion he was asked what the prognosis was but no insurer including the one through a broker would accept that it is managed with medication  and hasn’t’ travelled to any organs but wanted this given in life expectancy.This is not a question I have wanted to ask, nor do we feel able when asked by the insurer feel able to say whether I am terminal or not.Have any of you been in similar situations and  managed to successfully obtain insurance at a reasonable price or have the name of any insurance which may be able to help

Thankyou for the entries that you have already made as they have given me some determination to resolve this.

And55

• Hi 

Unfortunately as you are experiencing it is very difficult to get any reasonable travel insurance. During my treatment many companies did not give me a price and the few that did it was actually n the 1000s

You may want to have a look through this ongoing thread Recommended Travel Insurance

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi And55

As you are finding out it can be difficult to get insurance and you definitely need, coffee and and comfy chair. 

Applying online almost always gets rejected so phone (hence the comfy seat and coffee!) can  hopefully, eventually, get you there, though it is a long and tedious process.

I understand your hesitation about not wanting to ask about 'terminal', but if you flip the question,  "Have you been given a terminal diagnosis"? What is your answer? I presume its No. In which case, you have not been given a life expectancy. 

I would never advocate lying to an insurance company (I used to be a claims assessor for one) as you give them grounds to turn down a claim should you need to make one. That said, I am very precise with my answers. I have an incurable brain tumour and I'm not going to die of old age, but my Consultant has never used the word terminal, nor has be brought up life expectancy, and I don't ask. I therefore tell the insurance company my exact diagnosis, how it is monitored, drugs etc, and that my Consultant has never mentioned terminal or life expectancy. I have thereby answered all questions honestly and the the best of your knowledge.

All phone calls to insurance companies are recorded ( I know this as I've used the Ombudsman Service, who helped when I had an issue) so if you answer all calls honestly, to the best of your ability, you should not have a problem if they accept you and your conditions and are unfortunate enough to make a claim. Make a note of time and date of your call for reference in the future if need be.

I've declared by brain tumour and the epilepsy the surgery caused and have been accepted for annual travel insurance in the past with Insuancewith.com and I'm currently with Staysure. In both cases I stated that the Consultant had not told me I had a terminal diagnosis (he has never mentioned incurable either but that what I got for looking up my condition with Dr Google!) and got cover. 

Hope this helps, and that you find you can get cover. 

Regards

T

• Hi Tracy P

Thanks for all the time you have spent replying to me it is much appreciated and has certainly given me some thought about looking at the questions in a different way.I like yourself have not been given a terminal diagnosis and therefore have not been told my life expectancy. My consultant like yours has never used the word terminal or discussed life expectancy.I’ll try this new approach using some of the insurance companies mentioned on the forum and let the members know my outcome hopefully success.

Thanks and fingers crossed to my success

And55

• Hi, I am also looking for travel insurance. Can't do it online as they say to phone cannot get through on phone as constantly busy. I have secondary breast cancer which has spread to my spine. I know they cannot cure it but they can treat it. I think they class this as terminal even though it can be treated for many years.

• Hi Delgirl,

Thank's for your reply, we've decided to postpone going abroad for a while but do plan  to try again in the future and  I'm going to try Tracy  P guidance when I next do and hopefully will have more success. 

Kind  regards 

And55