Travel insurance 10+ Years since diagnosis/Treatment/recovery

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi All.

This is such a welcome problem to have. Does anyone have any advice/tips for getting travel insurance when you're 5+, 10+ years since your treatment/recovery? I notice that if I use comparison sites you're asked "Have you ever had ..cancer, heart disease etc.." so obviously you need to say yes & declare the condition. However, with some companies their questioning is only have you had anything within the "last 12 months". 

Obviously I'm keen to make sure that I declare anything that needs declaring, I'm happy to declare the cancer, I'm not even sure it's pushing the price up after this time? But it appears that you don't need to declare it if it's asking only within the last 12 months. 

I suppose I'm asking what others experiences are and maybe if anyone can recommend companies?

I was diagnosed with stage 3 aggressive bowel cancer in May 2010 and have been travelling and buying insurance since a trip to New York 6 weeks after finishing chemo in August 2011. So I've seen how insurance goes from hard to get, to expensive! 

• Hello Mark,

I'm 7 and 5 years since discharge following 2 separate cancers and some insurers do ask if you've ever had cancer but not all as you say. I am currently covered on a worldwide annual policy with Staysure who only ask if you've ever had heart disease etc. but do not include cancer in this question. They do ask if you've had treatment etc. for anything within last 2 years so if you have and this includes cancer it needs to be declared.

I guess comparison sites ask if you've ever had cancer because some (but maybe not all) of their panel of insurers want to ask this. 

So long as you answer all questions accurately and fully an insurer can't turn down a claim for not declaring something they have not asked you to declare.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Hi Mark.

I'm just 5 months finished treatment and going to USA for a month to cvisit my daughter and go to Disney! I eventually got insurance with All Clear, cost me a fortune even though I was stage 2 and hopefully cured due to it being so recent. However when I was talking with the sales person she said once I was 2 years in it wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't have to declare it. She was really nice to speak to when I called and very sympathetic about the costs for me :)