Impossible to obtain Insurance

• 7 replies
  • 23 subscribers

It appears that we must cancel our Christmas trip home to the USA because my British partner has spent two solid weeks calling and online applying and there is ABSOLUTELY no insurance company out there that will sell him any coverage. He is cancer free …as far as we know…of his malignant melanoma but because he has accepted the preventative immunotherapy, he is apparently completely uninsurable. We would gladly have them NOT cover the cancer at all as there is 0% chance of needing any medical care due to it BUT no one will write it that way. IT IS SO UNFAIR! a if he were terminal..they would be fine with that! How does this make any sense at all? So we are condemned to not being able to travel because he did what was advised out of caution. If ANYONE a knows ANY insurance that will break out the cancer coverage, we would be very appreciative. Thank you.

• Hi Helen

In my particular circumstances with H&N cancer, which has been recently treated I bank with Nationwide and have insurance through my flex+ account.  They will cover me EXCLUDING the cancer.  I am in the same position as your husband insomuch that there is no chance of me needing treatment abroad for this cancer.  There is a chance that I may get a reoccurrence and need to cancel, but that is a risk I mitigate by last minute booking.  I am off to the USA in a couple of weeks. 

Maybe this would work for you?  Before I transferred my account to the a few months ago I did ring and had it confirmed that they would cover me so you could try calling before taking the plunge.

Good luck!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for this info. I do believe that we have finally found an American insurance company that will insure him excluding the melanoma…which is fine with us. It is about a 1/3 the cost of the UK ones that would even quote us a a figure, of what it might be would they insure him the company is https://www.insubuy.com/atlas-premium-america/

All the best,

Helen

• Hi Helen could you please advise which American insurance company you contacted, willing to try anything to get our insurance.

many thanks Sandra 

• Hi Sandra and a very warm welcome to the online community

As you have probably found it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory.

Lots of people here recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi. Yes thank you. We have tried every phone number known to man and spent weeks on the computer and the phone. There is NO British insurance company that will insure if you have had malignant melanoma and are presently receiving immunotherapy….even though you are considered cancer free. We have had numbers of “perhaps £4000. IF we would insure you…for three weeks! We finally found a US company that will insure minus the cancer coverage…which is absolutely fine as there is zero chance we would need insurance for the cancer.

www.insubuy.com/.../

• Hi

I'm glad to hear that you've successfully obtained insurance and I hope you have a great trip.

My message was addressed  to  as I know from speaking to you before that you haven't been able to get insurance with a UK based company.

All the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"