Cover for cruise

• 6 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Can anyone recommend travel insurance for my partner who is having chemo with breaks between cycles? 

• Hi 

A cruise sounds like a lovely idea for you and your partner but, as you've probably found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. 

Lots of people have recommended that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your partner's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your partner's doctor saying that they are well enough to travel. This could come from the cancer team or GP.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance so that you can book the cruise.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Many thanks - that’s very helpful advice 

• Thumbsup

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Cathchaz

I have an annual policy that includes cruise cover. Its with Staysure. They have just sent me a renewal quote and like for like its gone up one penny from last year. As I wanted to find out how much extra it would be to include Spain I've just come off the phone from them and they have requoted. Having Spain, Greece, Malta and Cyprus added about £100 to the annual policy. Its best to make a list of treatment dates and drugs/tests before you start, sit down with a coffee, pen and paper and expect to be on the phone for a while. My brain tumour, epilepsy and migraines area all declared and covered. 

Good luck. 

• I find when I phone up to get quotes for cruises everything is fine until I mention the Fentanyl patches I am on. Then its sorry no quote unless you want to leave cancer off which is risky as mine is in the bones.

Anyone else had issues with Fentanyl patches being mentioned?

• Hi

It might be an idea to start a new post in the group asking about whether others have found mentioning Fentanyl patches has meant that their cancer won't be covered.

I did a search in the group but couldn't find any previous posts, other than yours, that mention them.

I have just recently taken out travel insurance for an extended stay in mainland Europe from Payingtoomuch.com. I felt the price was very reasonable as both myself and husband have pre-existing medical conditions, although my husband's isn't cancer related.

x

Community Champion Badge