Travel cover excluding Cancer cover ?

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi guy’s, I’m a 64 year old male that has had kidney cancer that resulted in a full right kidney nephrectomy 4 years ago which I recovered from very well indeed. 2 years ago a regular monitoring scan picked up a metastasis that had spread to my pelvis area that is being controlled with great success  by the drug Pazopanib. I’m fit and pretty healthy if a good bit overweight and I’m retired. This year for some reason my regular travel insurer has refused my annual travel insurance application the reason being quoted is that their underwriters will no longer insure me despite no change in my condition since the metastasis spread to the “ iliac crest” area of my pelvis. I’m quite happy to have insurance that doesn’t include cover for my cancer and I’m only concerned with cover for personal accident, heart attack and stroke, and most importantly repatriation following any of the things I’ve mentioned especially accidents. I’m not interested in cover for luggage, cancellation, or other minor financial losses. Can anybody advise about companies that will deal with me as the online quotes I’ve been trying are all drawing a blank ??

• |When I changed banks to one that included insurance I spoke to them and at the time they were willing to offer me cover for medical issues with the exception of my H&N cancer which is CUP and as such probably quite a high risk for them.  I have a similar view to you regarding travel cover - when I feel it is worth holidaying abroad again.  So, a couple of months ago it was certainly possible to get the cover you feel you need.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi 

I'm sorry to read that your existing travel insurer is no longer able to provide you with annual cover. I haven't tried to obtain insurance which would exclude my cancer so I can't help with any company names I'm afraid.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

I noticed that you've been doing online quotes but the experience from others on here has proved that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Lots of people have also reported that they can obtain single trip insurance but not annual trip so that might be another possibility for you to consider.

Let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"