First time trying to obtain Travel Insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Mr treatment for Prostate cancer was diagnosed about two years ago, stage two, contained within the prostate. Finished treatment one year ago, expecting to come off hormone treatment in a few months. I'm 80 years old, quite fit, cycle and ramble weekly, no health problems.

Just booked a Caribbean holiday next February. Next step, Travel Insurance. Firstly I didn't declare past prostate history. Received a quote from Staysure of £340 (for myself and wife, 75yrs). Then realised I needed to add past medical history so added prostate, finished treatment 1 yr +, not spread to bones etc, premium jumped to £405.

What I am confused about is if past history is excluded from cover, why should the premium increase? Is there any insurance that allows flexibility to tick off cover required? I think what I want is sort of personal accident cover, maybe not bothered about cancellation  and baggage or example.

Some people I know in my age group have given up on travel insurance and just take the risk on having none, particularly for European holidays. Not sure if I would want to do this for North America?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi had ovarian cancer  radiotherapy treatment in March and now told cancer free but not sure what i say when trying to get travel insurance for coach holiday in UK?  Any assistance would be appreciated. Due to ongoing covid restriction reluctant to not take travel ins but not sure how much I need to declare on insurance form ?

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis but hopefully you'll be able to find some after looking at recommendations from other members of this group.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I'm not aware of any travel insurance that allows you to pick and choose which elements you want to be covered for but it would be interesting to know for the future if you find some that do.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a great time!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

Normally when you either complete an online quote or do one over the telephone you will be asked if you've ever been diagnosed with or had treatment for a range of conditions. It would be at this point when you'd advise them that you had an ovarian cancer diagnosis. Having declared that you'll then normally be asked how long ago you were diagnosed, whether there's been any spread, whether you're still having treatment, etc.

If you decide to go on holiday have a look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are, before you book your holiday. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

Have a great time if you do go!

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"