Cruise travel insurance

• 8 replies
  • 20 subscribers

It will be mine and my husband's 40th wedding anniversary in April 2022.

He has never been interested in travelling abroad so only couple of times we have had travel insurance. And both times were before diagnosis of secondary breast cancer which has spread to my bones. I also have bursitis in my hip.

I am on Anastrozol and also take strong painkillers including Fentanyl patches. 

We are hoping to go on a 2 week cruise in April with P and O so no flying required but every website I go on is turning me dow 

Am I doing something wrong, please advise. We really need this holiday

• Hi Mounties, cruise insurance is always harder than most travel insurance, because of the cost of air evacuation if there is a medical emergency. Saying that I have cruised several times with P&O and I love it. The last time we cruised we were lucky enough to get a yearly cover including cruising, for less than £50. I have endometrial stromal sarcoma which has spread to my lungs.  I don’t know how much covid has effected the insurance cost, but the company we used was onestop4travelinsurance.  I have also had a good price from saga before. 

Good luck, you’ll have a wonderful cruise I’m sure x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi

A cruise sounds lovely and it's something that my husband and I are hoping to do next year.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis but hopefully you'll be able to find some after looking at recommendations from other members of this group.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a great time!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I rang Allclear travel insurance last week looking for cover for myself and husband next April to go on a 2 week cruise.

I have secondary breast cancer in hips and lower spine. I use Fentanyl patches 25mg. As soon as I said yes to being asked if j use strong painkillers I was given a quote of £1500. This more then the cost of the cruise.

Do j have to accept if I cant afford the insurance I need to forget about going on holidays abroad. Would it be cheaper if we flew to one place like Majorca? 

Advice needed please

• Hi mounties

As you have found out, having a cancer diagnosis put up premiums. Cruise insurance is always more expensive than land based travel insurance, regardless of pre-existing conditions. Some countries are also much more expensive just because the cost of medical treatment is more expensive. I've got an annual policy for Europe that excludes Spain, Malta and Cyprus (I could have cover, it would have just cost a bit more). If you opt for a European country other than these it might bring quotes down a bit. 

Hope that helps, good luck.

T

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that travel insurance with Allclear was very expensive but have you tried the other insurers recommended in the thread I linked you to yet ?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook , I have looked at the travel insurance forum you signposted me too, which was helpful

The only problem is most of the comments are around 3 years old and some of the companies dont seem to do insurance any longer.

I will keep trying and hoping I can bring good positive news that will help others xx

• I think that the reason that most of the comments are around three years old is because that was when that thread was started and once a company was recommended there was no need for it to be recommended again. 

I have seen other comments in the group that some insurers have suspended issuing new policies. It would be good if after you've worked your way through the recommendations you could add to the recommended travel insurance thread comments on which insurers are currently quoting and which are not.

I do hope you can get insurance

x

Community Champion Badge