Travel insurance post treatment.

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi and best wishes to all.

It's great to see this thread and thanks to all contributors.

Recently, insurancewith.com was mentioned as being useful and I have no doubt that it is. 

Unfortunately beyond Squamous Cell carcinoma (source believed to be throat but original tumour not found) diagnosis and treatment I had a number of complications following surgery. These resulted in pulmonary embolism and arrhythmias, however following draining pericarditis most symptoms have been completely relieved so the 'complications' were at the back of my mind. I tried insurancewith.com first and discovered that the complications came to the forefront to the degree that they would not insure me. The process of entering all conditions and medications was long and arduous and I was upset to find the result. To make matters worse the phone number supplied at the end of the process to query further was unobtainable.

I tried 'Moneysaving Expert pre-existing conditions' and found this useful. They advised 'Medicaltravelcompared' which rather like insurancewith.com involved a very long and thorough questionnaire. It took around an hour for me to complete with good health record documents to copy/paste from to speed process and I used searches to be certain of entering correct details. At the end even this failed to find an insurer who would supply annual cover. However it was possible to change search for single or multiple trips and here there were at last number of options available. I found 3 quite well known companies offering quotes with options over policies. I originally searched for one week in France as we have to visit relatives there as soon as we can All were disturbingly expensive circa £450. It was easy to change search for shorter or longer durations. One company dropped to  £70 for a day and others dropped their daily rate for longer stays. I didn't try yet but I'd imagine that your details would hold for checking other destinations.

This was a bit of a shock as we bought our first ever annual TI policy last August with good C-19 cover totalling £76 for both my wife and I before I discovered a seemingly benign lump in my neck last November. Had never bothered pre Brexit. 

For myself, this does seriously curtail some plans. But if something like a wedding turns up that can't be put back, a few days are possible. I’m getting better. Recently finished 30 sessions of radiotherapy and the prescription drugs are dropping as conditions improve. I hope to be rid of liquid medications shortly and think this will make a dent in quotes. As soon as this happens I’ll try again.

I hope this is useful for others. Don’t ever give up!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Thanks very much for taking the time to let us all know of your travel insurance findings. 

I think it's true that the longer time there is between the original diagnosis/end of treatment and trying to get travel insurance then the more choice there is and also the more chance of being accepted. Also, as you've found, you're more likely to be able to get single trip rather than annual insurance as I suppose we are less of a risk if just covering us for a week or two rather than for a whole year.

I do hope that you can get some insurance in the future and that you have some lovely holidays.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Haggismuncher,

Thank you for the above information. Like you I have been treated for SCC (found in neck lymph node, and at last check up last Friday all was looking good but my Primary also has not been found. I’m on no medications or follow up treatment, just the 5 years close monitoring. Apart from that I’m in excellent health. I am now 10 months post treatment and have booked a cruise (just 40 passengers around the islands off Croatia) for September 2022 at which point God willing I will have just passed the 2 year post treatment point. I’ll start looking for travel insurance next year but any feedback on this topic will be gratefully received. 

I wish you well in your recovery and hope that you can soon get out to France to see your relatives.

Carol x

• Hi Rhondda and Latchbrook.

Lovely to hear from you and thank you both so much.

I have a little update already. I use credit karma to check what goes on in the background over referencing searches. Horribly, someone registered a car in my name a while ago and action fraud recommended I tried them to check things. Thankfully all was OK that way (sadly the DVLA do not request anything other than a name and address to register a vehicle!) and I’ve seldom found any cause for concern since. However a few months ago I was thinking of buying a car and looked for car insurance quotes through links provided on the Autotrader website. All seemed fine and useful. However I then received alerts by email. Around 5 parent insurance companies had used the info I had supplied online to do ‘Soft searches’ on my credit record.

I was pretty shocked by this however the ‘Soft searches’ apparently never affect your credit rating. So I was  half expecting that my enquiries over travel insurance would lead to the same outcome. A lot more worrying when you consider how much more detail we have to supply in our situations.

Credit karma updated my monthly report today. I was pleasantly surprised that no activity whatsoever was found following the enquiries I have described over travel insurance. This indicates that these enquiries were held with reasonable confidence. Medicaltravelcompared is a comparison site but they have retained confidentiality better than the Meercats used by Autotrader. I’ll take two things from this. I’m not afraid to try again as circumstances change, however I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the quotes. What happens if you pursue further from their suggestions remains to be seen. But it does seem harmless to try so far as there if you have time on your hands.

I do hope Rhondda will have no trouble at all next September. You are long overdue a break – try an earlier one as well!  Thanks so much again Latchbrook for keeping everyone up to date and I really hope you get some happy holidays too.

Best wishes to all.

Haggismuncher xx