Travel insurance for a UK cruise

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Does anyone know what Insurance companies will cover for a UK cruise? 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis but hopefully you'll be able to find some that will mean that you can go on your cruise.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will often tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a great time!

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi JLE

My experience is this... I am CUP with no definitive treatment, although I've had lots of surgery looking for the primary. 

I looked into the Nationwide packaged travel insurance with the bank account as I need to change banks.  I spoke to someone, as I think it is vital to speak to a real person rather than use an algorithm ; even though the algorithm is probably still being used in the background.  The person you speak to is probably better placed to interpret your answers in a sensible way.

In the end they could not offer me insurance for issues relating to my cancer, but they could offer normal terms on anything not related.  On the basis that I doubt if my cancer will cause me any distress or need my hospitalisation before I can get back to the UK and the NHS I feel this is an acceptable risk to me.

Peter
  • Peter as a fellow CUP person that’s interesting to read, so that’s another option we could go down when I want travel insurance next year. I have read on here positive feedback on Insurewith.com . They offer a range of policies specifically designed for those with a cancer diagnosis by people who have experienced the condition themselves first-hand. 

Just an update, I had my 6 week check with the consultant this morning (10 month post treatment) which included full throat examination plus camera down the nose and all was looking good apparently, but I still find it difficult trying to switch off about this blasted UP! 

Anyway thanks for the tip about travel insurance, hope you’re keeping well. 

Carol

• Hi Carol - great that you're all clear at your check.  I know what you  mean about trying to switch off about the CUP - always niggling at the back of the mind...  My next check is at the end of July but all feels good at the moment

Peter