Existing insurer want to cancel my policy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

Hi 

So I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m on letrozole   to reduce size of tumour which if it does surgery can be planned around my holidays. I’ve 2 trips booked one in September to Mexico and the other in December to Vegas. The insurance was taken out  with Staysure last year well before diagnosis. They have said can’t cover me and want to cancel policy . When I spoke to them the questions seemed to put me in same category for example of someone going through chemo so it felt a bit unfair. Or it could be because my surgery is in the future. I’m just a bit unclear how to answer the questions. I tried all clear and they quoted over £900 just for me for one trip. So in your experience am I better rescheduling holiday Till after surgery? 
going to try some more today. But it’s just soul destroying. Was to be special holidays for 25th wedding anniversary and 60th birthday, but I’ll just need to see what best options are. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community and to the travel insurance group in particular.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have cancer but hopefully you'll be able to find some that will mean you and your husband can go to Mexico and Las Vegas as planned.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

If I'm not sure how to answer a question I find that explaining the circumstances usually helps them and me find the right answer. You could also ask the insurer if the quote would be cheaper after you've had surgery. Each insurer might view this differently with differences in the length of time after surgery before the price reduces.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a great time!

Do come back and let me know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"