Booking insurance for a cruise to Norway in April. Advice please.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

I've booked a cruise for my husbands 60th in April. He has no medical issues. However in the past three years I have had cervical spinal surgery and needed a following surgery, but then through a routine breast screen found out I had pre cancerous cells in my left breast, which ended in a mastectomy. A few months later I discovered a lump in my right breast which ended with a lumpectomy and radiotherapy (stage 3). I finally had my second spinal op in Novemeber 2019 and am well, fit and healthly and back to work this week.

I had a quote from a reputable company for £388 for a 9 day cruise. I'm not familiar with buying travel insurance. Does this seem reasonable? They havent asked about my spinal issues, but I guess if anything happened they coould decline to pay out. The other thing is that I have my second yealry mamogramme on the 10th February, do I tell them this, what if it's not good news, I have no reason to believe It won't be, but you never know with cancer. Do I book insurance before this rotine screening or wait until I have the results? Any advise would be apprieciated. Thank you.

• Hi 

That sounds like a great trip that you've booked for your husband's birthday. I did my first ever cruise last year and that was to the Norwegian fjords. If this is the where you're going I'm sure you'll have a great time.

The best time to get travel insurance is before or at the same time as booking your holiday so that you're covered immediately for things like cancellation.

As every quote is tailored to the individuals circumstances it isn't possible to say whether the quote you've been given is a reasonable price or not. Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook, Thank you for taking time to reply.  We are indeed going to the Norweigian Fiords, have always wanted to go.

I think your advice is sound about ringing them, as I have another spinal diagnosis, and recent surgery for that, which has been sucessful.  I don't want to risk a claim being declined because they haven't got all the information.

I will have a look at your threads and let you know.

x