Family member who is not travelling has terminal cancer, any advice on cancellation insurance?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi everybody,

My mum and I have booked a UK holiday for July of this year.  My dad (my mum's husband) has terminal liver cancer (there are no treatments that will work for him and he has been given a 6-12 month prognosis).  It is possible that we will need to cancel this holiday as his health deteriorates, and I'm struggling to find out if we can get our holiday insured.  I know that I'll need to call the companies directly but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a company who has covered them in this situation?

I've had a read through the travel insurance recommendations thread, so I have an idea of companies that may be 'cancer friendly', so to speak.  But couldn't find anything about our particular situation.

Thank you.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has terminal liver cancer and, as a result, you're struggling to find travel insurance to cover you.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find it very difficult to find an insurer who will insure you for curtailment or cancellation if your dad's condition becomes worse.

I've had a look through previous posts here for the type of cover you want and found this thread, this one and this one which were also asking about cover for non travelling relatives. I don't know if any of the posters eventually got travel insurance, as they didn't respond, but you could reply to them and ask.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook,

Thank you so much for the welcome, and for looking through the threads for me, that really is a big help.

I've replied on the threads, so we'll see if anyone gets back to me, but I think getting insurance is looking unlikely.

• Hi 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of those you've contacted will have had a positive outcome.

My only other thought is for you to contact an insurance broker, if you haven't already done so, and see if with their knowledge of the industry they know of an insurance company that will cover you. If you don't know of an insurance broker local to you then you could contact BIBA (British Insurance Broker's Association) for help in finding one.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks Latchbrook,

I'll contact BIBA and see if they can help.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi kittenmittens

I am in the same situation as you. We are hoping to book a holiday for July/August but dad has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. Have tried a number of insurers but i've no luck yet.

Have you had any?

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi pixie2408,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.

I have only managed to contact a few companies because it was the holidays and most were closed.  I contacted All Clear and they were a no right off.  Stay Sure were the same.I called Insurance Choice, who are a broker, and they recommended a company called International Travel and Healthcare.  They seemed willing to insure us even with the situation with my Dad, but in the end there were too many conditions between my Mum and I and that was what meant they wouldn't insure us.  But they might be worth a try.  Their number is 01689 892 228.

I'll hopefully manage to try some others next week, and I'll let you know if I have any luck.  Please do let me know if you have any luck as well.  I hope that you find someone.

• FormerMember

Hello again Pixie2408,

Would you be able to tell me what Insurers you have tried so that I know who not to try?

Thank you :)

• FormerMember

Update:

I contacted BIBA and they said they couldn't recommend any brokers who would cover this situation on their phone list, but I could try the website, however, the website just gives you general brokers names, not brokers who specifically deal with this situation.

I tried contacting a broker called JD Travel, but they could not recommend any companies that would cover this situation.

I called a company called Insurancewith.com and they could not provide cover for this situation.

I'll try a few more when I can and keep you updated.

• FormerMember

Hi kittenmittens

Sorry only seeing this reply now!

Who haven't I tried?  Though I hadn't heard of International Travel & Healthcare, maybe worth a call!

It's getting to the point now if we do book we are just going to take the chance and hopefully won't need to cancel or cut short!  My hubby and I check almost everyday and as you say everyone is very vague until you've gone through the whole process with them and then they turn round and say 'no we don't cover that!'

Makes me so cross that things are not a lot clearer on websites and policy wording!!!

Likewise if I have any luck I will let you know! Fingers crossed tone2

• FormerMember

Hi pixie2408,

Do you remember any of the names of the companies you have tried, just so I know not to bother contacted them?