Travel insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

My current insurance is coming up for renewal so I'm looking for any alternatives.

I'm 71 years old now and I had radical prostatectomy just over 3 years ago. My PSA level is now undetectable. The insurance I need has to be worldwide, including the USA and the Caribbean, it also has to cover trips of at least 32 days duration. My current policy excludes cover for prostate cancer as I'm not likely to get it as I now don't have a prostate. I sat down with a broker and went through all this to come up with a quote and then had to talk on the phone to someone about my medical history. Still pretty expensive though. Has any one done anything similar that I might try to see if I can get a competitive quote?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find competitively priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

I do hope that you can find some reasonably priced travel insurance to cover what you need and do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"