Travel Insurance with terminal diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

I work as a Cancer Support Worker, and frequently advise patients on the need to ensure they have adequate travel insurance in place before taking a trip, and to pay particular attention to cover for repatriation costs in the case of a medical emergency.

I recently put my knowledge into practice, seeking cover for a family member with a terminal diagnosis, and it was a real learning curve. Most companies would not offer cover. Those that would, asked if the applicant was expected to survive for more than 6 months from the return date, and would only proceed if the answer was yes. Obviously, each case has to be assessed individually, but surely the risks are greater if the applicant is undergoing active treatment? In our case, the travel was prior to treatment.

• Before I retired, I used to travel to faraway places because that was where my work was. Travel is usually advocated as something restful, but actually travel is very stressful. I came across too many deaths when travelling abroad. When I was working, my employers paid the insurance, so I did not worry too much. But it was a different matter when I had to pay myself. The deaths, repatriations, illnesses that I saw when I was working had one thing in common: Their relatives all said, truthfully, that he or she, had never had that before. 

Yet the one thing travel insurers ask you is "What illnesses have you had before?, and penalise you accordingly. 

Insurers ask the wrong questions. For prostate cancer, they should ask "What is your PSA?", and "What was it six months ago?" Other questions might be "What is your blood pressure - your cholesterol - your blood sugar?"

Medicine has moved on in the past 100 years.

Basically travel insurers, as are car insurers, exist to make a profit. They are not there to look after their customers.

Joe Soap