Travel insurnce recommendations

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Recently diagnosed with tonsil cancer (tonsil removed) but having surgery to remove lymph node in neck. Going on a cruise in December after the operation but trying to find single travel for two people for 10 days below £270. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...many thanks in advance.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been diagnosed with tonsil cancer but it's great to hear that you are planning a holiday.

Unfortunately, as you've discovered, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. Other people have previously commented that cruise insurance in particular can be expensive so you might find a land based holiday would be a cheaper alternative.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the Member's Stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best if you check with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you can book your cruise. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Just thought I’d report a decent price I got for travel insurance from Let’s Go Insure.  I wanted insurance which specifically excluded my colon cancer as I’m fortunate to be in full remission currently and they were able to do this for me.  I got annual worldwide travel insurance for both me and my missus for £51.50 which I thought was great value.  Although it’s a reasonably basic policy with a £100 excess, it has everything you’d need from £10M for medical emergencies / repatriation, to cover for curtailment, missed departures lost money & passport etc.  I got this insurance through a small 3rd party broker which issues policies for Let’s Go Insure on 01702 427265.  I know that cruise cover costs extra with these people but they might be worth a try.

Cheers

FF