Travel Insurance looking for recommendations

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

I'm looking for any recommendations for a travel insurer for a Worldwide trip. We have a bunch of conditions which are not at present in "serious" mode. My husband has a lynphoplasmatic lymphoma diagnosis - this is asymptomatic at the moment but some insurers still jump at it. And I am a past breast cancer survivor, which is long ago enough now not to trouble a lot of insurers (but some). Ideally i would like an insurer who does a "fit to travel" basis so that we don't have to go through all and every one of our ailments for the last few years - but any insurer who doesn't run away from pre existing conditions, and who doesn't levy a "go away and don't bother us" type of premium - would be good to know about.

A couple of years ago someone recommended the Boots policy. That sounded ideal and they were helpful. Unfortunately since then the underwriter has had a bad news report about refusing to bring home someone who was very ill (and died as a result) so that's put me off a bit. You never know the full story, but it's not a good sign.

So I am reviewing again from the start. (We have been using Eurotunnel for a few years. They stopped doing Worldwide, and now will only do Europe for people who are travelling on the Eurotunnel. We did have a moderate claim with them once, and a small one once, and they need all the paperwork spot on, but they were otherwise quite helpful, so I am grateful for that. I think that was a recommendation here, too, or on Mumsnet.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give.

• Hi and welcome to the group

Unfortunately, as you know it, can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. It's good to hear though that you have successfully managed in the past.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal.

I do hope that you can get the travel insurance that you want and that you have a wonderful time. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you Latchbrook. I will do this, I haven't had time yet. Thank you for the link, it will help narrow it down.

Yes I have noticed that about on line applications :-) Better to have a human being!

Best

Helenaa