Travel Insurance for the states - GIST

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, I'm planning a trip to visit San Francisco for 2 weeks with my mother in March next year. She was diagnosed with a GIST 2 years ago, she is healthy and is kept in check by daily Chemo pills, Gleevec. Now almost 2 years with positive scan results. We have phoned around for cover (even used brokers suggested by MacMillan) but getting quotes between £2000 - £3500 as she is deemed to be 'ongoing cancer treatment'. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation and found quotes for less? Any recommendations would be great. At it stands we won't be able to go and she is terribly upset that she might not be able to travel outside of Europe again as the chemo pills will be needed for the rest of her life.  

Thanks, 
Mary 

• Hi Mary and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. 

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your mum's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your mum's doctor to prove that they have given her permission to travel. In any case it's always best to check with her doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in her notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get travel insurance for your mum and that you have a lovely trip

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"