Still on dexamethasone. Trouble getting travel insurance

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

Yes, I’m afraid it’s one of those “can anybody recommend a travel insurer?” questions but this time I’m really having trouble finding cover. We have used insurancewith a couple of times with no trouble so this time, just before I pressed the ‘buy’ button, we suddenly decided to check the price of travel insurance (this is for a weeks holiday in Majorca) and I was told, to my surprise, that they wouldn’t be able to cover me as I’m still on 0.5mg dexamethasone a day as my body doesn’t make it’s own steroids any more. I rang some more insurers who would quote me (the lowest being £1600 [the price of the holiday]), up to £4000. I spoke to a lady at Boots who told me that underwriters do not like steroids, even though I’m on such a low dosage. Can anybody help me at all please?

Thanks in advance,

Stu  

• Hi and welcome to the travel insurance group

I'm sorry to hear that after successfully using insurancewith a couple of times they are now declining to insure you.

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance? Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask you when applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance so that you can book your holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you latchbrook, I shall press the link and see what I find. 

Stu

Stu B