Best travel insurance for me and husband (Mum has cancer but not travelling)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm looking for advice. My mum has cancer. She has refused treatment, and although they haven't given her a set amount of time left (although they don't think it will be more than 12 months), she has been referred to a palliative care team in the community.

Me and my husband have just booked a holiday to Greece in June and want to be covered in case her condition gets worse or, in the worst case scenario, she passes away. All the insurance I've researched talks about the person travelling. It's a very expensive holiday as it's a bit of a treat.

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies for me and my husband in case the worst happens? We booked the trip independently so no travel agents are involved. I'm struggling a bit to find companies.

Many thanks to anyone who posts here.

Donna

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that your mum has cancer. Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when there is a cancer diagnosis involved and I think you'll find it very difficult to find an insurer who will insure you and your husband for curtailment or cancellation if your mum's condition becomes worse.

I've had a look through previous posts here for the type of cover you want and found this thread and this one which were also asking about cover for non travelling relatives. I don't know if either poster eventually got travel insurance but you could reply to them and ask.

You could also look through the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance as it has recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance and there may be a company listed there that you haven't tried. If you click on the link I've created it will take you there. If you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to that thread.

Most people suggest that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to complete an online quote. 

I wish you all the best and hope that you can obtain the travel insurance you need.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Donna,

I'm aware that your post was some time ago, but I was wondering if you ever managed to find insurance?  I'm asking as I'm in the same situation as you were.