Father has been diagnosed with cancer and honeymoon booked without insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Dear supportive friends,

My husband (of 3 weeks) and I are going on a 4 week travelling honeymoon in mid December to America. We booked our trip months ago before his father was diagnosed with Myeloma and has now been in hospital for 2 months going through chemo.

I have found a number of insurances which would cover our travel if either me or my husband had been diagnosed with cancer but cant seem to find an insurance that will cover his father's pre existing condition (who is not coming away).

We are concerned about cancellation and curtailment in case of an emergency before or while we are away. Any advice for a relative with a pre existing condition would be so amazing. 

Thanks you so much for reading my message. 

S xx

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Congratulations on your marriage! It's a shame that you didn't take out insurance at the same time as booking your honeymoon because then you would have been covered as your father-in-law wasn't ill at the time.

As you've discovered it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when there is a cancer diagnosis involved.

I don't know if you've had a chance to look through the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance yet (it's the one below your post). It was set up so that recommendations from community members could be kept in one place to make looking for travel insurance companies easier. If you've not looked through it then I'd recommend it as a starting place. Just click on the link I've created to take you there or scroll down the page. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to it as well.

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes.

Another way to search for recommendations is to use the search facility on this page and type in relevant words, eg cover for non traveller, etc

I do hope that you can find some suitable insurance and have a great honeymoon!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you so much.

Unfortunately it seems from ringing around all day that if you have a relative diagnosed with cancer and you book a holiday - your holiday can not be covered at all in case something happens to them. I don't really know what else to try now. Iv even spoken to a broker but they all say the same.

Any more advice?! Thanks again fro the warm welcome. 

xx

• I did wonder if that might happen .

I'm assuming you've tried all those listed on the Recommended Travel Insurance thread with no luck.

My only other thought is that you give the British Insurance Brokers Association a call and tell them that you need cover in case your father-in-law's condition worsens and see if they can recommend an insurance company that would be prepared to take that risk.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Yes I also tried them.

They said there was nothing that they could do as I was insuring my own holiday and not my husband's dad. I am really surprised that there isn't yet a service for the families of people living with cancer. We are fairly new to this situation and still trying to deal with the emotions and obstacles (practical wise) that come along with it. Thank you so much fro your support. 

• Oh. I'm really sorry to hear that .

Can you get travel insurance for yourself and your partner so that you can still go on your holiday? Then if you had to come back early you could buy plane tickets back. An expensive option I know but you'd still get your holiday then.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Yes we can get travel insurance still... and hopefully we can still go but we just wont have any kind of cover if we cancel or come back early due to his dad's health. 

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just wondering if you had any luck finding cancellation insurance?  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

I'm aware that your post was some time ago, but I was wondering if you ever managed to find insurance?  I'm asking as I'm in the same situation as you were.