Waiting times digital letters wrong Drs appt

• 6 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Evening, my partner has Adenosquamous Cell skin cancer on his forehead. Was advised he would need Radiotherapy after the excision. He had a head and neck scan 1 week after the consultation with Dermatologist and a paper letter on 3/3/24 stating the scan was clear no extra cancer found …so far so good, however no appt letter for the radiotherapy was received he rang dermatology secretary who was already on the phone but was told she would ring back that was Monday this week no return phone was received. My partner is not digitally clever but passed me his phone showing a text with a link saying My Care which meant nothing to him. On opening the link to find an appt for today @ 10:30 at Guildford we attended on time 30 minutes later a Macmillan nurse came to say we had been given an appt for the wrong Dr he spoke to reception who was not aware but would check my partner went back to reception  30 mins  afterwards to be told he would  be seen - at 12 noon we were ushered into an examination room at this point my partner was ready to leave. A  Dr arrived with no apology just to say it was a mix up ! and as we were already there  she would see us which did not inspire any confidence. She proceeded to go through what what happen quite briskly I wanted to record the consultation but she was not happy me doing that but was informed a could make notes . Considering this is a very stressful time for us both this does not bode well going forward 

• Hi Navymum2

Am sorry to hear of your partner's diagnosis and the mix up with his appointment. During a stressful time such as this, it is all you both need. I hope that you managed to get some idea about what will happen next from the consultation even though it was rushed. 

Maybe worth getting in touch with your partner's CNS if you need more support. I found mine were helpful and made time to answer questions- by both phone or email and just having someone who would communicate what was going on and in clear terms, really helped me. 

Wishing your partner the best for the next step in his treatment and in the mean time if there is anything that you need, please do ask. The Support Line is also there from 8am to 8pm if you ever feel chatting things through would help.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane unfortunately we were not able to get in touch with the CNS no reply for the telephone extension given. The whole appointment system at Guildford appears to be be in a terrible state since that 1st appointment he has received letters saying it would be a telephone consultation on the 29th April, then eventually he got a phone call appointment with radiotherapy for the 22nd April. Hurrah … only to get another phone call 10 mins later to say the appointment dates had change. The hospital booking service is a complete shambles I have left messages for secretaries to ring me back without success. As I am sure you are aware the whole cancer situation is very stressful and this is the last thing he needs. However fingers crossed  that the treatment will go ahead that day without anymore hold upsThank you for your concern 

• Hello 

Another line of attack is the hospital PALS service (Patient Advisory and Liaison Service). You can contact them, let them know what's going on and they should (I say should) be able to smooth your pathway through appointments and also give you a point of contact.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I am sorry that you are having such a bad experience with the appointments and as you say cancer is very stressful and this is the last thing that is needed.

I agree with Millibob's suggestion below- try contacting PALS at the hospital and see if they can help.

Jane

• Thank you for your response I have now contacted PALS x