Pain and a living death

• 1 reply
  • 15 subscribers

And still we wait. Husband, fon dad daughter sharing bedside ‘watches’. Yesterdays was long and non eventful. My darling wife just snored the hours away, with zero interaction for anyone. She did smile a murmur when I played themes from the Darling Buds of May, Upstairs Downstairs and As time goes by. But no words were murmured.

She’s so very thin, and has taken nothing in, liquid or solid. Such consumptions are refused in silence. Death stalks her, but won’t claim my darling. Life without her is unimaginable, but this is no life. Its an existence as she sits on a step between living and ….. She can’t go back, but she’s unable to step forward. When will she be freed? Then we can weep and greave. It will be unbearable, but this current ‘existence’ is becoming that to. A land with one foot in living and of dreamed hopes, but with the other foot firmly in death and unbearable loss. As she slowly dies, so to do I ……

Its just as hard for the children But they have their partners. I have no one, just the shattered remains of half a heart. Of loneliness and desire for my own death.

• Hi,

I am so sorry to hear your story. My step mum died of cancer 3 years ago, thankfully she didn't suffer too long, although I do remember the heartache of watching someone you love suffer. However my dad also felt like you, although the family were around him, he felt alone and couldn't envisage life without her. He did attempt suicide twice, where I found him in time both times. He had his own health issues aswell. From a daughters perspective, it was really hard. Wasn't us kids enough, did we not matter. My siblings harboured a lot of anger about it and a lot of the time everything was left to me. I used to be scared of getting that phone call or what would I walk into when I went to visit him. I understood his feelings and why he did it but still did not want to lose my dad. He ended spending some time in a psychiatric hospital and now has a district nurse to administer his medication as he couldn't be trusted with it. Then a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer, I dreaded telling him aa I was worried about the effect it would have. I told him not to do anything stupid as I needed him to be strong for me now. It does seem to have helped in a weird sort of way. The biggest thing that has helped him though, he has joined a veterans club. They meet twice a week and have various events. You need to have a support group around you, who aren't necessarily family and take each day as it comes. I have obviously summarised our journey as a lot happened and it has been absolutely devastating at times. I just know that I needed my dad around, whether that is selfish on my part. Please find someone who you can talk to, don't bottle things up. It is ok to have the dark thoughts, just find a coping mechanism that brings you out of them. My thoughts are with you, take care x