deflated

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Well chatting to people I've met, outside of Hospital I hear there MDT are great, even their consultant will do anything for them, wish mine were like that.i even had asked repeatedly just to find out who my CNS was. My consultant gave me a booklet and was more or less told to go away and read this, I was supposed to have had another appointment, still heard nothing, then told if I hear nothing to chase them:(to top it all my hospital recent took a back ward step, instead of giving cancer patients a discount on the time they are there they have gone back to charging patients full price, knowing full well that visits can take 7-8 hrs each visit, talk about hitting a person when their down..

• Hi Dawie

Regarding the consultant actions or rather lack of actions, you can't change a consultant's character. My consultant on my last visit, got up from her seat and came over to where I was seated and gave me a really tight hug when she sensed I was feeling down. Maybe consultants should try to put themselves on the other side of the table and think about how they would like to be treated.

It's the policy of the Ulster Hospital just outside Belfast that people attending cancer treatment are given a car parking ticket for several visits (mine currently is for 20 visits). I have to insert my card when I enter the car park and then again when I depart.

My brother's wife was seriously ill a while ago, thankfully she pulled through, and he was given a car park ticket to park for free by another hospital in the same Trust, so it would seem that free parking is sensibly given whether for patients or relatives.

I can't see how a hospital cannot have a policy like that, it surely won't cost anything but a compassionate board.

Tvman 

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Thank you TVman i agree they need better bedside manners so to speak,to cap it all the hospital I have to attend has just revoked their chip as a plastic coin with a chip cancer patients and maybe some others got charged only £1.20 for the whole day, this has since been revoked, my last two visits were for 8 hrs each that's around £15 a visit, that not even including the cost of getting there.

Has the world become so cold-hearted.

sorry, I seem to have repeated my self.

• Mt Vernon in Middx, which I attend for 3 monthly scans then 2 weeks later for clinic appt with oncologist, charges £1 all day for both cancer and disabled patients. If they can do so, I don't see why other NHS  trusts can't.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi All,

Scarborough hospital in North Yorkshire is free for all appointments for cancer patients.  It is one where you pay as you leave but you can get your ticket validated as you leave either on the wing where the cancer services are or at main reception.  On the odd occasion I have left after both of these have closed and using the assistance button at the exit allowed me to explain and I left free of charge.  If you have a disabled blue badge there are dedicated parking spaces (although not enough of them) which are free.  I had been attending for about a year before anyone told me that I could park for free.

The hospital is on the edge of town and has lots of space for car parking.  I can imagine it is at more of a premium in urban areas.

Gragon xx