My mum and how to deal with our news

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

So I have just joined as I need some guidance in how to manage our resent news … 

I will try to keep it brief but this is how our story goes. My mum has MPNST ( Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor) which to the normal person is cancer in her leg which has travelled now to her lungs. She was diagnosed terminal about 3 years ago. She’s had 4 different types of chemo and radio in two places. Nothing has worked or done what we would like. It’s been a long and bumpy road but mum keeps going she doesn’t let anything stop her and on the outside apart from her hair and the puffy steroid gave you wouldn’t know.

but this is where the story gets hard. We have just come back (Thursday 12th) from a family holiday which was great but mums breathing was really bad and she was struggling more than usual. When we got back she had an appointment booked but Thursday night an ambulance was called as her breathing was rapidly getting worse. They ran tests , scans and the works and we was told her cancer was taking over most of her lungs now and part had collapsed. Mum asked if we are looking at months and her doctor said more like weeks. Still has been a TOTAL shock. 

I have a three year old daughter who is my mums side chick not only is my mum my best friend. But my daughters too how do I tell my daughter nanny won’t be here. 

how when trying to deal with this do I carry on being a mum. I’m so scared of my mum dying but knowing my daughter will ask for nanny is what kills me more than anything 

• Hi  

My wife has had a partial lung collapse 6 times now. The first time it took a while before it impacted her but when it did it was very difficult. They did chest drains that allowed the lung to reinflate and in the end did surgical pluradesis that seems to have stabilized things.

There are quite a few resources on the page preparing a child or teenager for loss that might be useful, it is such a hard time for you too so remember to be kind to yourself.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge