Mum's cancer is terminal

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer in January.  It spread quickly and in May she found out that it was terminal, she quit her job that she loved.  She was offered a drug to help her symptoms but she had a bad reaction to it and couldn't continue.  Then in August she was told it had spread to her brain.  She was told she can no longer drive.  My mum lives with me, my husband our two children aged 16 and 12, they know an age appropriate amount.

I'm struggling.  Mum has lost her independence and spends all day every day at home.  I work in a school so the six weeks holiday were great for spending time with mum and driving her places.  Since the new school year started I feel like I've abandoned her and she feels lonely and is feeling so down.

In herself she has been ok, she has sorted paperwork and been very matter of fact about it all.  My dad is no longer with us and my brother, who lives a few roads away, is quite honestly rubbish.  He isn't coping and basically any news has to go through his wife and she tells him when they are alone.

I've been ok, getting on with things but it hit me driving to work this morning that we are just waiting for her to die, it's just the most horrible waiting game. It's a horrible thing to think I know.  Right now I can't let myself think about a life without my mum.  I am glad that she lives with us so I can keep an eye on her but on the other hand it's so hard sometimes.

I feel guilty for being so selfish.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't been in your position, as I was the one with cancer, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"