Update on mum....struggling

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

I've posted recently, but here's just a brief summary.

My Mum is in her early 70s and already has a brain injury and hydrocephalus from a previous sub arachnoid haemorrhage from a ruptured annuerysm3 years ago. She currently has a PV shunt to control the hydrocephalus.

About 3 weeks ago we were given the terrible diagnosis of a distal transverse bowel cancer tumour with significant metastases in the liver.

Given the current overall health of mum it's been decided by us as a family and an MDT meeting that palliative care is the chosen path without any chemotherapy or surgery etc. As it would be too much for mum to cope with.

We found out today from the consultant that mums life expectancy is 2 months or maybe a little longer. 

I'm struggling to get my head around it all and so shocked. She's currently in a wheelchair and incontinent but has been for a while (potentially also down to the brain injury), but she's eating and drinking ok, a little discomfort at the weekend but more or less OK but she gets very fatigued.

It all seems like it's not really happening....like a nightmare.... I can't understand how it can go downhill potentially so quickly Confused 

She's currently in a neurological nursing home so we don't need to transfer to a hospice 

Anyone offer any advice at all as to how to cope.

Thank you 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read about your mum and I can understand how shocking it must have been to be given a timeline recently.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Sending virtual ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you

I've been to visit mum today she seemed really well, they had to hoist her into the bathroom for the loo and she seemed in so much pain, there was also blood in her bowel movement I heard the staff say. Mum was then exhausted and wanted to get back into bed ....its completely soul destroying Broken heart