Coping with my mums cancer

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi all,

New to this group as my mum's cancer is becoming hard to deal with.

She is 76 and was diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney cancer with lung metastasis in December last year after a series of tests had been done to find out what was causing her lack of energy, night sweats and weight loss. 

In January she started on cabozantinib and after an initial scan this looked to be working. She had another scan however in June which showed the disease had progressed slightly and that she would be started on an alternative medication shortly.

Unfortunately, since about April onwards she seems to have become confused in her mind, disorientated and just not 'herself'. Her mobility has got worse as well and she began to require the aid of a stick.

About a month ago she fell over in the kitchen and broke her hip, which not only knocked her confidence severely but gave her another struggle to contend with. She spent about 10 days in hospital but returned home. She is back to walking with a stick again but has not gained back the strength in her legs fully, I'm not sure if that's because of the hip break or because the cancer has spread further.

All of this has meant that she has been unable to begin the new treatment, so thats almost 2 months without any form of cancer meds.

She had an MRI on her head, we weren't told why (i can only assume to check again to see if there has been any spread to the brain). She has an appointment with her oncologist next week but they will only start her on the new meds if she is deemed fit enough due to the potential side effects, however surely they have to put her on something?

It's all very frustrating as she seems to be a shell of her former self, uninterested in all the things she used to like to do and can't put her mind to anything. It's horrible to see her deteriorate this way.

I know it's putting a great deal of stress on my father as well especially as he is frightened to leave her alone in the house for any lengthy period of time.

Sorry for the long post but just felt I had to put something out there.

• hi  

Welcome to our community though sorry to hear about all you are going through.

It may be worth noting some of the questions you have above ready for the appointment next week, it is so easy to forget in the heat of the moment.

Has your mum and dad had a needs assessment and a carers assessment - see here - can be really worthwhile because making the carer ill is not helpful and this is well recognised.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for your reply.

She currently has her bed downstairs in the house and has a walking frame, though she manages to walk very slowly with a stick since her fall.

She also has access to a downstairs shower.

It is more hard for us mentally seeing her the way she is. 

Like I say, she had been on Cabozantinib, and it was a month or so after she started on this that her mental state deteriorated along with her mobility, I do wonder if this treatment did her more harm than good.