Father-in-law with oesophageal cancer

• 4 replies
  • 14 subscribers

My father-in-law (who is 88 years old) was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer at the end of April 2024. The results from a camera down the throat said it was Stage 2/3 spread to 2 or 3 lympth nodes. The oncology consultant at beginning of June said that they cannot cure the cancer, cannot do surgery, cannot have chemo. He has had a stent fitted back in May. He has lost over 3 stones in 3 months and it is like hugging a skeleton. He is having pallative care. He is able to still do things by himself. Just recently had another CT scan as he does'nt want to eat as feeling sick and waiting for another camera down. Not sure if the stent has moved, the tumor has grown or if the cancer has spread. It is a matter of a waiting game as to know how long he has left. The only family that can help him is myself and my husband, but he has got friends that take him to bowls. I would like to know what is the best thing to do. Do I help him with everything when the time comes? Do I get him to get cleaners in to do the housework (as he is getting £100 a week)? He has told us, and put it in writing, where he wants his ashes put, but has left it up to us whether there is a funeral or not. I am getting a bit overwhelmed. Any suggestions please.

• HI Honey12 Your FIL sounds like he is still on the ball which is great . I would suggest talking to him and iron out any issues you are concerned about or he has . I think you will find it will make things more pleasant all around . All the Best  Minmax 

• Hi Minmax. Thanks for your advice. Talking to him I get the opinion that he doesn't want to talk about things so I feel very unsure how to approach the situation. We know things are going to get worse. Luckily he is not at the stage of having carers yet, but it will happen at some point. Even my husband doesn't want to talk about things (some would say 'burying their head in the sand'. I think they both won't discuss what is going to happen until the time comes. Me on the other hand likes to have a plan in place, as it will probably be me left to sort everything out. I will just have to sit back and wait.

• Hi Honey12 I hear you and understand as sometimes it's easier to just bury your head and think someone else can deal with it . I had this exact conversation with my son about my own affairs which are complicated . I think it maybe worth chatting to someone with the palliative  team as they really are the experts and dealing with these situations everyday. I hope you get the help and answers etc  All the Best minmax 

• Hi Minmax. Thanks for the advice. My father-in-law is getting worse. The cancer has spread to his stomach. His mobility is getting worse, using a frame with wheels. His mental health is getting worse as he has not slept for weeks. Has seen a nurse in our local hospice. He is getting 1 lot of Radiotherapy tomorrow (19th Sept) to help with symptons. He has accepted that it is time for carers to come in so will discuss that with the pallative care nurse next time we see her. So we just need to take one day at a time.