New here

• 3 replies
  • 15 subscribers

I took my husband to A&E on Saturday as he had been sick after all meals and drinks for a few days and constantly feeling full. He was 13 months post esophagectomy and had been told no evidence of disease in March. They did a CT and found a 4cm mass on his liver and spleen. We have been told they inoperable and they also can’t biopsy them. They have said chemo and immunotherapy are an option. They have mentioned 6-15 months. It’s the first time they have mentioned life expectancy. It has floored us. We are waiting for the oncologist to get in touch with when treatment can start. We have 2 kids (16 and 20) and I just hope he will still be well enough for their birthdays in October. 

• My husband was diagnosed February 22 laryngeal cancer.  Treated with laser surgery which at first appeared a success.  Then told January 23 he would need further treatment and in March 23 underwent 30 sessions of radiotherapy.  Again appeared success.  However April this year started having some pain in neck and after further investigation told it's back.  Has been told he is suitable for immunotherapy.  My husband is quite a strong character but all this is having  a really negative affect.  Last week because of medication he ended up in hospital.  While in there he asked one of the palliative nurses was it worth having immunotherapy.  She replied that the consultant would not treat if she did not think it was worth it.  However it would appear another palliative nurse told him he might like to think of getting things in order.  I find this last remark unacceptable.  She does not know my husband well enough to know his mental state.  And certainly she does not know me.  Because since my husband has told me that I can't stop crying.  We are not stupid we know what might be be.  We do not need to be told, we are trying to be positive.  So please just think before speaking.

• Hi Gillell

Totally understand how you are feeling.  My secondary cancer was treated with chemo which ended in February this year.  My oncologist said that I should have 6 months without it growing significantly in May.  When I started getting symptoms again in June my scan showed 1.5cm growth in 4 weeks - I didn't need anybody to tell me that this was bad news.  You go though all of the feelings, projecting, guessing and in truth nobody knows what will happen.  I'm on immunotherapy now and hoping, but I have decided to make end of life plans because I was scared by the tumour growing so much in such a short time.

You and your husband will have to process every new stage in your journey.  I think that people should only give important health information and anything else - we'll ask if we need to know.  Best of luck and thinking of you and your family. X

• Thank you so much and I hope all goes well for you.  My husband has always been positive but at times you can't help negative thoughts coming through, and to be honest with you up to a fortnight ago we tried as best we could to get on with life. When our GP put him on stronger painkillers he had an adverse reaction (vomiting) and ended up in hospital. One of the palliative care team said it to him. House in Order.and even though we know it's bad, we don't need people like her, (who had only seen my husband once) coming out with that comment.  My husband is home now and like you had his first round of immunotherapy yesterday.  I can only say his treatment yesterday, nurses, staff etc were excellent.  Thank you again.  And best wishes.xx