Advice and help for my family and grandad please

• 3 replies
  • 16 subscribers

My grandad is 79. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 8 years ago which has now spread to his bones and is terminal.

This has spread into his ribs, sternum, hips, legs and lung lining as shown in the last scan. 

I'm not a doctor but since then he has been for more scans and we are waiting on results but the way he is declining makes me think the cancer has now spread more into the lungs.

Over the past weeks he has gotten worse but still wont take any support from family and we have even tried to get him to speak to professionals and he wont. 

He is very tired all of the time and crying due to the pain and feeling depressed. He has no appetite and is generally just very down. We as a family completely understand this but he won't take his prescribed morphine, he won't use something to aid his walking and he is trying to mask the amount of pain he is in.

We are all trying to be there for him and eachother but it is very hard as there are alot of different opinions and emotions. We are all wanting the best for him, some want to get intouch with professional support systems and others dont and my grandad has said no to this as well. This is all causing tension and we dont know what the best thing is to do.

My nanna and grandad argue and bicker more now, i know it's because they are both scared but this isn't the time to be falling out. I think my nanna does need support too, she won't admit but she is struggling.

My nanna has stated she doesn't want him to pass away at home as she doesnt want to find him gone in the house.

I've tried to explain that usually nurses come in to help, he may have a bed downstairs and he will be comfortable and hopefully not in pain. (I've been through this with another family member - a different side of them family, who we cared for and passed at home). 

Anyway she wants him to be in hospital/hospice. I'm struggling to deal with this as I think he should be at home when it happens and it's really upsetting me, i know my nanna is in charge but am I being too sensitive to this decision? I'm not even sure how a hospice works, can we visit whenever we want?

We ultimately just want my grandad to know he isn't alone and he has support and to try and encourage him to take his pain meds if he needs to instead of masking it. There isn't anymore chemo as this has stopped this.

Also some advice for all the different opinions for my family: how do we deal with this without falling apart?

• Hello LD123

How sad for you and your family, but how lucky your grandparents are to have such a caring family. As with all tragedies, different family members will have different reactions to his illness and possible suffering. You need to be very strong indeed to witness a close family member spend their last days or weeks at home, and the workload can be considerable as well as distressing to witness. Therefore, I understand your nanna's wish for him to be in a hospice. Whilst it isn't my decision, I would personally consider that option. The staff will be there 24/7 and able to administer whatever pain relief is needed. Your grandad might not even be aware that they are doing it. Some may need to be via injection, so need to be administered by an expert.

In my 72 years I have experienced several friends and family at the end of their lives with cancer (including my dad) in a hospice and am convinced that it was the right place for them. Visiting times were very flexible, the staff were welcoming, calm, caring and supportive, and I don't really know how close family could have provided the same level of care at home without being worn out and stressed themselves.

I know you are aware of all this, but consider my words. Hospices are not the scary places you might imagine. And your grandad really won't benefit from seeing his family worried and upset.

My view, of course, so good luck with whatever you decide.

Meg

• Hi thank you so much for your reply. 

As a family we all want whats best for him everyone is understanding and accepts that he will be possibly going into a hospice, it's just me who can't.

I have experienced first hand careing for a family member who's wishes were to pass at home. Although it was hard work and very draining we had brilliant support and help form the nurses and care team it was just nice in some way knowing my stepdad was at home with us even though he wasn't aware. 

Aside from all this it's just hard as we all have different views were trying to do what's best, my grandad won't talk about anything and I just don't want us to all fall out with the stress 

I wish my grandad would open up and be honest about his pain and why he won't take anything for it

• Perhaps he imagines that being in pain will hurry on the illness and therefore be less stressful for everyone. Someone (probably not a family member) needs to tell him that this is likely not the case.

Meg xxx