Newly Diagnosed - What now?

• 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi, 

A family member has been diagnosed with Liver Cancer last week, and was advised that it was terminal with a 12 month timeline.

Unfortunately they were on their own for the appointment and for the delivery of this news. We are very unclear what the next steps to expect are. They were advised that this is now handed back over to the local GP. We have so far heard nothing else, and are just waiting for the GP to contact with an appointment.

Is this correct? I would have expected to be transferred to some sort of palliative care team? We are all clearly devastated by this news and have no idea how to move forward or what anything means. There are so many questions but we have no real idea what happens now?

Thanks in advance for any information or advise shared?

• Hi Blue29 and a warm welcome to the forum though so sorry to hear of your family members diagnosis and can understand what a difficult time this is for all of you, Being put under your GPs care is normal they will refer you for the services you will need, the palliative care team, district nurses, occupational therapist and physiotherapist. PS the palliative care team are there to support and make life as comfortable as possible and NOT just for end of life. You will also find talking to your local hospice about the services they offer really helpful too, again they offer so much more than end of life care. You may find joining, The Liver Cancer forum, invaluable, they will have first hand experience of living with liver cancer, and there is always the Macmillan helpline 0808 808 00 00 to help as well, PS i have terminal cancer and use and benefit greatly from all the services i have mentioned and i know many who are years past the time they were told they had left, best wishes to you all, take care'

Eddie

• Thank you so much for your advise and support.