Advice - supporting grandmother

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hello, My 85 year old grandmother was diagnosed with vaginal cancer back in October last year. She was given a short course of radiotherapy to help symptoms in November but told she has months to short years. I am trying to support her the best I can, it's just me, we lost my mum (her daughter) at the beginning of the year and, I work full time and have a young child. I've fought hard with social care to arrange carers as she is not managing living on her own well. She has 2 visits a day and she is not entitled to more, the hospital are not offering anymore appointments and she only sees the GP when her symptoms get worse. Its really challenging trying to find the right support, it almost feels as though she is being left to die. The district nurses have been of little support and will not support us to arrange pads - I'm not really sure what I'm asking for maybe I just needed to say, this is hard and ask if anyone has any tips on how I can support her. Thank you for reading this

• Oh that's really sad, I'm sorry that you are not being given more support. Have you tried Marie Curie or a local hospice for advice? Would phone calls help as a means of support? A befriending charity may operate in your area with visits. I'm clutching at straws for you. Sending hugs. 

• Thank you, that's really helpful. I'll contact our local hospice for advice. Appreciate your response and the virtual hug! 

• I am also doing the same for my aunt. I work full time as a teacher and have children. I go round every evening to help put her to bed. No support from GP. It feels like you have been abandoned. Like said by another reply, reach out to hospice or Marie curie. My aunt is terminal and very poorly however she has refused carers and any form of help other than the support I give. Sending love x