Comfort items

• 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi I’ve been signposted to this forum so hoping you can help! 

We found out a few weeks ago that my dad only has a few months left. Understandably we are all heartbroken. He has lost a lot of weight and is feeling the cold a lot more than he used to so I wanted to make him a little hamper of things that he would find useful like really warm fluffy socks and some hard boiled sweets etc. 

do you have any other ideas on what maybe useful or what your finding useful if you are going through this? 

any ideas welcome 

Thanks Blush

• Some of his favorite things may help

• Tiko,

Sorry to read the news about your father. I hope that his pain is being managed adequately and that he can be as comfortable as possible.

Have you thought about a hot water bottle or if safety is an issue a wheat bag, some of these are scented with calming aromas, they can be heated in the microwave. He may also like to have a big fluffy Oodie to go with the warm socks. 

A lypsal or lip balm may help if he suffers from dry lips, as is often the case when appetite is suppressed. If he is still drinking okay is there a particular juice or squash that he likes? A bottle of his favourite aftershave or body spray.. smelling good can help a person feel a bit better.

Not all treats require buying a gift, ask dad if he'd like his feet, neck or hands massaged, the physical touch along with some cream can be so soothing and assist with dry skin which can form when a person is ill. 

Record some favourite music or audio books if you think they may be something that your dad would like. Get out the photo album and chat about good memories. 

Take time to look after yourself as you all struggle to get through the coming weeks.

Mym x

• You can get fluffy lined walking socks which are lovely. A nice comfortable cushion to rest on might help. Would he appreciate some nice biscuits or cheese? Is he allowed occasional alcohol? A drop of brandy? If not, some nice puddings. My friend's gran loved marzipan. High calorie but helped with happiness. Bless him and your family.