Help with diet please

• 5 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi all 

I'm new to the group so please bear with me.

Last October my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the lung that has also spread to other parts of his body. He has had targeted radiation and has currently had 4 cycles of immunotherapy.

Two months ago he lost a lot of weight and muscle mass and, swallowing solids has become impossible with the tumour pressing on his food pipe. For nutrients and calories he has been managing to drink daily two Fortisip, a protein drink (made with full milk, a banana and two tb spoons of full cream), actimel, cup of green tea, an egg in orange juice and the occasional sieved homemade soup. However, he now can't face any more of the Fortisip or protein drinks from which most of the calories came from.

Has anyone else faced this please and if so, do you have any tips or recipes for a liquid diet that's high in calories and iron please? 

• Hi LANIMRET and welcome to the forum though i am so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. I looked after my mum when she had terminal lung cancer and had difficulty swallowing so made milkshakes and smoothies based on fortified milk or almond milk then added fruit, vegetables, smooth peanut butter, yoghurt, honey or ice cream, and when swallowing was a little harder found ice cream was the easiest thing to swallow, take care.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie

Thank you so much for responding and so sorry to hear that your mum also had lung cancer, not sure if it's one of the worst ones but it certainly feels like it. 

I have tried him with smoothies but haven't added smooth peanut butter or ice cream before so will definitely be trying  these added ingredients out.

Thank you so much again!   

• Hi LANIMRET happy to help. one thing to remember is not to use too much fruit as it will not help your husband to gain weight, please take care. Eddie

• I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Have you tried the Aymes Actasolve Savoury soup? My dad has terminal bowel cancer, he doesn't have a sweet tooth and hates the Fortisip juices/milkshakes, so the dietician prescribed the soups plus a neutral flavour Fortisip Compact Protein milkshake (we add it to his tea, porridge, smoothies, it's a strange milky yogurt flavour, my dad has to mix it with something cos it's a bit bland). The soups can get a boring but cos it's a powder, you can mix it into homemade soup.

• Our GP referred us to the dietician, she was really helpful and gave us lots of calorie rich recipes and prescribed the soups. My dad can eat solid food, so I'm afraid I'm not sure about a liquid diet. Maybe you can contact your GP and try to see a dietician?

As for iron, I'm a bit anemic and been prescribed iron tablets. I've seen iron liquid supplements at the pharmacy. Maybe check with the GP or ask the pharmacist about it.

Take care and good luck with everything x

• Hi

Many thanks for your kind response that is so helpful and so sorry too to hear about your Father.

I was unaware of the soups so will follow this up and, will request an appointment with a dietician, thank you!

Unfortunately though my husbands consultant is reluctant at this stage for him to take any iron supplements for fear that it may interfere with his immunotherapy treatment but I am looking at food groups that are high in iron and hopefully the dietitian will also be able to help with this.

Thank you again good luck to you and yours too x