Lost.

• 9 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi,

I'm new here, my dad had been having some pain in his arm and leg since last Christmas then three months ago he picked up a drill and his arm just broke, after spending 3 weeks in hospital having various tests and scans we found out he also had a fracture in his leg which lead the docs to believe his bone were brittle as he hadn't had and bumps or falls to cause the damage, they also found a mass in his chest and one in his abdomen. fast forward 2 weeks later and they finally had a plan for his surgery they fitted a rod in his arm and a plate on the fracture in his leg whilst in surgery they took samples from where the brake in his arm was for more test after what felt like a life time we had the results back and it hit me like a train i've never felt so crushed in my whole life my super hero dad has cancer. a week later we get even more devastating news its terminal. I cant even put into words how i felt after hearing it, and i cant stop thinking about all the thing that wont happen and how my 4 year old son who idolizes this man is going to loose his best friend at such a young age and may even forget him. I'm now realizing there really aren't enough hours in the day to make everyone happy and still be there to help dad and still work full time and still be a mom and a partner.

I feel alone, lost and like i'm drowning.   

• Hi LaurieL - I am truly sorry for the devastating news that you and your family have had to hear.  When I was told that about my husband, I am not sure that there were any words that could do justice in any way to describe how I felt.  You are absolutely not alone with what you are going through; everyone on this forum will be able able to relate to you in some way and for me it does bring comfort and makes a difference.  You can't being to imagine what the future will be like, or how you will cope/juggle things until you have to.  But you will - and you'll do an amazing job.  You will likely have support that you don't even know about yet as there are amazing people out there, ready to help.  I think you will be surprised as well at the strength that you find inside you throughout this.  You may not feel like it at all, ever, but others will see it.  Sending you a big hug - take care and well done for being brave enough to join the community and share. x

• Thank you for replying it does come as some comfort that there are people who have an understand whats going on, its hard to see past the here and now and right now in the here and now its hard. Painting a smile on everyday is hard and pretending i'm not thinking constantly about it is hard, I know I have to continue doing so for everyone around me and mainly for my son and my dad but its not easy it like i'm putting one foot in front of the other but someone keeps adding more and more glass to the path I just wish i knew a way to make it better and to balance everything as my son and partner are feeling very left out of my extremely hectic life, i haven't even told my son about my dad he just knows granddads poorly with his broken arm and leg as i know he will constantly ask question to his granddad and i know my dad isn't in a place to hear those questions let alone answer them. x

• Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I feel your pain as we've just been told my dad's cancer has spread from his lung to his brain. The hardest part is, is that because of the brain mets hes not thinking quite as well as he usually does so doesn't actually comprehend how bad it is. We are in turmoil as to whether he should understand or just let him carry on being optimistic.  I'm so glad found these groups. It makes me feel less alone and although I can't offer you any advice or words of wisdom I am sending you love and hugs. Mic75 Blue heart

• Big hugs to you. Feel exactly the same hearing my partner is terminal, it's like I can't breathe and don't know how I am going to cope. I can't bare not having him in my life. We're going to have to do this day by day xxx

• I'm trying to take it day by day too, I asked how long it might be but now im  not sure it's done me any favours. My dad doesn't know but myself and my sister do. Its hard to stay strong isn't it, but  we have no other option. CryPurple heart

• It really is. So glad to have found this group, important we talk about it x

• Sorry I've been M I A. Dad has been rushed into hospital today as he was coughing up blood and was struggling to breath. We all went round through fear of it being the last time mine and my sisters children would see him. He's had ct scans and test and it turns out he has pneumonia and even though there going to treat it with antibiotics they don't think it's going to work and the next 24 hours are going to be telling I'm so broken it hurts my world is shattered I'm praying for a miracle or to wake up from this nightmare, I'm not ready to loose my daddy I just keep being told to prepare for the worst but how the hell am I supposed to prepare for this I can't even imagine a world where my dad isn't in it.

• Thinking of you. Important to reach out to people, my friends and family are my security blanket I couldn't get through this without them. Maybe also speak to your gp re your mental health. Day to day we will get through, try not to think past that xKissing heart

• LaurieL I'm so sorry to hear this, always live in hope, let's cross our fingers that the antibiotics do work. Spend as much time with your dad as you can. 

We are here to listen and to try and support you whenever you need it. As Alibee77 said, do go and speak to your gp about how you are coping. These are such horrible times for us all. Sending so much love to you and your family. Xxxx