Dad about to start radiotherapy for Stage 4 lung cancer following chemotherapy and immunotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone, it's my first post here, and reading the comments and threads over the last few months has been so helpful. I've posted this comment in the diagnosis thread, but also wanted to get some help and advice here if possible, 

My Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in January, he's 79 and as well as battling cancer, he's also my Mum's carer, as she's been suffering from depression for a number of years. He started on chemotherapy in March, but the consultant stopped that in June as the cancer was spreading. They then tried immunotherapy as second line treatment but sadly that hasn't worked either and they stopped after four rounds. They've now put him on prednisolone for a couple of weeks (8 tablets a day) with a view to starting radiotherapy in a few weeks. 

One thing I've found supporting a parent through this terrible illness is that Dad sometimes won't tell me the full details of what's going on, so as not to make us worrry too much. I often get the treatment updates when I find letters from the hospital left on the kitchen table when I go and visit him at home. And when I ask him what's going on, it can stress him out, so I'm keen not to add to his load.  If anyone here has had a similar treatment routine, how steroids work, and can offer any advice and experiences of it that would be amazing.

Thank you  

• Hello Tedney, 

Firstly my apologies that your post in this forum has gone unanswered for such a long time... I notice you were given a link for guidance in your other post, I do hope that helped.

I am very sorry to hear that your Dad has a stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis that seems to not be responding to chemo or immuno treatment in the past, but treatment is to continue by use of radiotherapy.

It is extremely hard to watch someone you love being denied positive news when undergoing treatment, and I imagine it is also hard for yourself and your Mum to find positivity when you are unsure of next steps or treatment.

Though I understand why Dad would hold information back, especially if it is not good news... in many ways some people feel that if they don't share it, they don't acknowledge it and they can better fight against it. I don't know if that is the case for your Dad.

I don't have enough experience or knowledge with the type of treatment your Dad is going through to give any advice but I hope by bumping up this post others will come along and offer some of their experience.

Just wanted you to know that your post has been read, and that we are thinking of you all

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thanks ever so much Lowe. We're meeting tjhe consultamt on Wednesday to talk next steps, so if anyone has amy experiences they can share with us we'd really appreciate it. 

Ed

• Hi, I hope the consultant meeting went okay and you got  more information. My older brother has just been diagnosed with lung cancer but due to spinal cord compression the only treatments available to him have been radiation and now possible immunotherapy - which he has only just been tested for. We are hoping he is suitable for immunology as the radiation he had was more aimed at secondary cancer causing the spinal cord compression. Wishing you best of luck. x

• Hi, hope your brother is doing OK and that he can start the immunology. Unfortunately my Dad isn't suitable for radiotherapy as the cancer has spread. We're seeing the consultant in a couple of weeks, but it looks like we're looking at palliative care, rather than any more treatmeht, and the consultant estimated that we have six months left with Dad. It's heartbreaking, but we're going to try and make the rest of his time as happy as we can.