Mum has advanced lung cancer and symptoms happening faster and faster

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi Thank you for this opportunity to get your advice. My mum lives alone and I'm her only child. She's 64. She has been having treatment for lung cancer since 2019 but it has kept progressing. On 11th Feb we found out that she now has Small Cell as well as NSC and that it is extremely active. The doctor said she might only have 2 months without chemotherapy and up to a year with it. She was initially willing to try the chemotherapy but in the two weeks since the news, she has become so weak, in more pain and taking more oramorph and sick every morning and through the night. She had a terrible night last night and just called me in tears. She's staying bed today and has vomited a lot and she said she feels awful. I don't know what to do I have tried the district nurse number but no answer or voicemail. She hasn't got a Macmillian nurse yet as the district nurse has to authorise it. She has her first chemo on Thursday with two visits on Tuesday and Wednesday for the kidney tests and other blood tests but the way she is today she said she couldn't even leave the house. I have looked on 111 and it says to contact her palliative care team which doesn't have yet. I'm at a loss what to do really. Is this something she might expect as things get worse, or is there something that can be done to help her feel a bit better? I'm on my way over there now but I thought I would write a post and see if there was any advice you could give me. Many Thanks 

• Hi AngelaB2 I am sorry you have not had a reply to your post yet. Can I please suggest that if your mum is still feeling like this today, you call her GP or phone 111 and speak to someone there. You said your mum is taking more Oramorph and it could be this making her sick. I wonder if the quantity she is taking needs to be checked with someone medical. I do hope you find her a little brighter today. It really is horrid to watch a loved one go through this.  I hope you get some help with this today.

Take care 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Chellesimo. Things got a bit better, I did call 111 who got through to the district nurses and they came within an hour. They've rectified everything with her doctor and have changed her to slow release morphine twice a day for her pain with oramporh as a last resort if she needs it. Her chemo has wiped her out but she is doing better with the vomiting because they have given her some carbocisteine which loosens all the mucus when she coughs in the night so she doesn't end up bringing her food up. She's still in pain from her bone deposits but she is managing it much better now. Next chemo is the end of March so I hope she is feeling better after that one than this one. Thanks again.