Metastatic lung adenocarcinoma

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi all,

My mum was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with metastatic lung adenocarcinoma which has spread to her lymph nodes and adrenal glands.  She hadn't been well for a few months and back in the Autumn it was thought she had 'long covid'.  Following negative tests for that she went in for a chest x-ray and CT Scan.  Following these she was admitted to hospital for two nights while they drained 2.7 litres of fluid off of her left lung.  A few days later came the dreaded call and diagnosis - it is in both lungs, the lymph nodes and adrenal glands and it is inoperable.  The Doctor has said they can treat it to slow down the progress but we are wondering what these treatments might involve?

Mum and dad are in complete shock.  Since she has been put on the 'pathway' she has had calls form the local hospice which has really shaken her.  We are all trying to process the diagnosis, but things are happening so fast mum is really struggling with it all.  She's being contacted by Macmillan, the hospice, a physio, an OT the doctors and the hospital and it's so much for her to take in she is now really struggling with anxiety whilst still in denial as to the seriousness of her condition.  She is angry, frightened and scared.  I know these are all feelings she has to go through to accept but it's hard seeing her struggling with it all.

Any advice anyone can give for me to reassure her I would really appreciate.  My dad is not a 'natural born carer' but he is being amazing - but mum being so fiercely independant is struggling to accept help.

Thank you in advance, and I am truly sorry that you are probably only able to advise as you and your family have been through this yourselves, and I am grateful for you sharing your experiences with me.

Ceejay911

• Ceejay 

Just to say stay strong. In similar situation and a year on from hubby getting lung with liver and spleen mets diagnosis 

Been thru chemo and immunotherapy and now more chemo with targeted treatment 

There are things to help with this so fingers crossed for your mum