Living Grief!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello Everyone, 

First of all thank you for listening! 
My Mum was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer a year ago, after taking her to A&E with a droop in her face (expecting to be told she’d had a stroke).

The cancer is terminal. Mum’s fighting on and surprising everyone! 
It’s great to see this and obviously we would rather she was here than not but I feel like our lives are on hold are we are just waiting! 
This has been compounded by the current pandemic as it hasn’t allowed us to perhaps create the experiences we would like Mum to have.

How do you try and carry on with life, wanting to keep your loved one here whilst trying to grieve the fact they are going to die and knowing that for this living hell to be over means they will have passed away which is the last thing we want? Cry

• Hi Kelly Marie... 

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your questions with us. 

We all have different fears and worries when we are facing the loss of a loved one due to a cancer diagnosis, but the great thing to read is that a year on your Mum is still with you, fighting the brain and lung cancer that was diagnosed and sent fear into your hearts, over a year ago. 

What I am trying to say is... if you are anything like me, when my husband was given his diagnosis, I was visualising that his demise was imminent, but as we have learnt, it is not... and we spend many months wasted worrying that they were going to be gone rather than enjoying life and doing whatever we could with it during these extremely tough times.

Be there, be a part  of your Mum's day, aim for as many tomorrows as possible and remember... live in the moment, for none of us are promised tomorrow, the difference is with our loved ones, is that we have been given a window of knowledge, that we don't often have... make everyday as good a day as possible.... and hope that time, is after all, on your side as it has been, for the last year.

((((Hugs)))

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lowedal

Hi and thank you for your lovely words! 
    You have a great outlook on things and it’s certainly given me some good perspective!

I hope you also continue to take one day at a time and enjoy each day Heart eyes
    xxx