Struggling today

• 15 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Finding today very bitter sweet. Me and my hubby have always celebrated Valentine’s - not with expensive gifts and grand gestures - just by being together, having a nice dinner, listening to our music and he’s always sent me flowers. Nothing has changed this year but at every little thing today I’ve found tears pouring down my face because this is going to be our last valentines together (short of some medical miracle occurring). I’m trying not to  think about what’s coming and to enjoy the time we have left together but all I’ve been able to think about today is that next year he won’t be here with me. I have fantastic support from family and friends but didn’t want to share with them today as I didn’t want to spoil their days as well. Anyone else find these milestone days difficult?

• Hi Jillybean74, 

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters wedding. Such immense sadness, I've heard many people cancelling their wedding plans due to COVID, it's an added cruelty to anyone dealing with this illness.

We did my brother's wedding 3 months after my dad died. It was difficult & emotional,  but still very memorable and beautiful day, we do smile thinking about it although it was 20 years ago. Could your husband record his speech just in case he isn't able to be ether in person? I know that's incredibly difficult. Or maybe he could chose a favourite poem to be read if he can't find the words to express.

But hope also for that medical miracle....

I'm going to ask mine to write a letter for my daughter to give to her on her wedding day ( if that ever comes) same for my son... I don't think he's ready to do that just yet....so painful to think about...

Looking after yourself is so important. Bath sounds like a lovely idea. I dug over the compost heap yesterday for my self care, was very satisfying...

xxx

• Hi Tiffintop

I think a letter to our daughter is a great idea as I don’t think I could handle hearing a record of him doing the speech. I don’t think he’s ready to start doing these things yet but I will start dropping it into conversation. Thank you for the suggestion. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I totally get where your coming from, we shared our last valentine's evening together and it was lovely, sadly we only have a few months of togetherness left and it's heartbreaking, feeling guilty fPray being upset feeling guilty because my life will go on, but without him. It is hard times for us all with this pandemic and when the world opens up again he won't be with me anymore. Take strength fPraym your inner being and allow ourselves to grief for what is ahead but remember to have smiles and joy for what we have for now, god bless Pray

• Hi Jillybean - I understand where you are coming from completely, its so difficult to not think about these things in all honesty isnt it. Since my Dads terminal diagnosis I've felt the same, last time seeing him open his xmas presents, birthday presents, maybe not being around for the start of the F1 season which is his favourite thing - sometimes I just sit and stare at him to make sure I don't forget anything and just take it all in.  Im trying not to pander to him too much as he's a very proud man but I'm making sure he's comfortable and bringing him sweet treats - he actually had his first ever Mcflurry recently on our way back from a hospital appointment, first time in a drive through too!  Im trying to make some new memories but its hard when he is so weak and only really leaves the house for treatment.  Enjoy every day is my new motto because tomorrow is never promised x x take care x x 

• Hi Coco37. 
    Sorry  to hear about your dad. I like your motto. That’s mostly what we’re doing and at least there’s a bit of hope of my hubby actually getting to see his family now that the restrictions are gradually lifting. 
    Take care and enjoy the time you have with your Dad x