Vaccinations

• 15 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I am approaching my 100days SCT and thinking about all the vaccinations that I have to come. I'm told I will be given COVID and flu within the next few weeks and then a host of baby ones in November. I would be interested to know how others have got on with vaccinations and if  there have been any side effects. I am wanting to start travelling ( UK) soon but I'm wondering if I should wait untill I've had my baby jabs first or should I just go for it and be careful. Now that I am recovering and feeling well I need some fun and excitement to look forward too.

• I was not allowed any of my re-vaccinations until I was a year post Allo SCT but I was still dealing with GvHD

As for having the jabs (this was pre covid) I had no reaction to them whatsoever….. we were flying down south to our daughters just after a year post Allo and only with my first set of jabs.

But we did drive down to our daughters within the first year post Allo, you just have to continue you to assess the risks, you get to the point where you define how you live, rather then the SCT process defining you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• HI sunshine1

As far as travelling in the UK is concerned, as Mike has stated you need to access your risks, 100 days is still VERY EARLY in your recovery and in the minimum stage of any risks of serious complications.

If you travel, keep away from any family/friend who may have cold/flu or any other illness symptoms, that is the first thing to bear in mind. In addition keep away from crowded areas, try walking in open spaces, beach, countryside, avoid public transport.

You don't need to be a prisoner in your own home, but you must take care of yourself and think before you go.

In regard to vaccinations, 12 months is generally the start of your childhood vaccines, your team should give you a schedule around this time and your GP should be able to provide the jabs.

You will need to book these via you  GP surgery and may need to give them notice. 

There will be quite a few in the first few months and then usually every 3 months after up to about 18 months. My wife has been on these for 2 years and just awaiting her MMR in October. 

MMR VACCINE is the only live vaccine you will have. This is only given after 24 months post sct and only if you have not suffered from any significant GVHD.

Your team will be able to confirm if you are suitable at that time.

My wife has had no side effects from her vaccines over the 2 years apart from normal redish and warm arm around Injection site.

Hope this helps

FULHAMBOY

• Ps. Regarding MMR, not only after 24 months without GVHD, but also 12 months without any immunosuppressent drugs.

• It is interesting as to how different SCT teams can be with regards to vaccinations....... I was told there was no way I was ever going to get the MMR - GvHD or not...... ever so different from your wife  .

I had no infections during both my 2 Allo's but following my second they came thick and fast with me being 5 times back in hospital (about 31 days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Neutropenic Sepsis x2 and A Fib.

My Allo SCT was in mid Oct 2015....... and my hospital stays were as below and I was very careful!!!!

September 2016 - 4 days

December 2016 - 7 days

January 2017 - 7 Days

January 2018 - 7 days

January 2019 - 6 days

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for advice. I think it's balancing being careful and living.! My bloods are all normal and I have no detectable paraprotein s. I'm feeling great.  I will start off slowly and build it up.

• Hi Mike, I hope your well.

After your post a few month ago and my wife's recent visit to her Initial team locally following her AML diagnosis, her original consultant was against the MMR VACCINE, this was a bit concerning. My wife had a telephone consultation a couple of weeks ago and expressed her concerns regarding this. She was told that as she had recovered so well and without any infections, GVHD and has been off immunosuppressent medication for over 12 months that he was confident that this can be administered. 

One of those I believe to be the benefits overide the risks if any.

• Sunshine1

Just to give you another perspective, it's all down to your own personal health and comfort with decisions - I completed 2nd stem cell rescue in December 2022 ..... my team had me starting my Covid re-inoculations at 3 months and childhood vaccinations at 6 months with the last at 12 months (pneumococcal). I can send you the schedule separately if you desire - anything but a live vaccine.

I work and travel simply taking sensible precautions.

• Hi Sunshine,

I am 4 1/2 months post transplant. I had my first covid jab after 3 months and second at 4 months. I am due childhood vaccinations, flu and further covid jab at 6 months which will be in October. No issues with covid jabs. Not thinking of travelling yet hopefully will be able to go on holiday sometime next year.

Take care

AMF

• Hi  this schedule  sounds very similar  to the list of dates I was given from Glasgow.  Thanks. I am planning some breaks away and I'll be careful and take precautions, but I have to start kuvung again.

• This was the list that was given to me by The Beatson but due to GvHD and other complications including my chimerism being down at mid 50% I could not start until a year post SCT.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge