HAPPY reBirthday

• 12 replies
  • 12 subscribers

A  very happy 2nd reBirthday to my wonderful and amazing wife and look forward to many more celebrations xxx 

• I am sure that you will have a suitable celebration Champagne glass

It’s important to celebrate these amazing milestones….. my granddaughters insist on a BIG chocolate cake Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Congratulations to your wire. Did she manage to escape gvhd or was her transplant auto?

• Hi  Hardtimes

My wife has been extremely fortunate over the past 2 years post SCT. She has not suffered any Gvhd at all over the period since the transplant. She did however, as many others seem to do is suffer from aching joints following and still gets a little tired if walking around for any great length of time. She had an allo transplant from her sister.

• I am so glad she has not had gvhd symptoms. I have suffered for year and a half and is very debilitating. I hope she continues to improve.

• Hi I am about 120 days post transplant. Like your wife I haven't had any gvhd as yet but I have developer left shoulder pain and upper arm muscle pain what kind of joint pain does your wife have and what treatment is available if any.

Cheers

AF55

• HI AF55

My wife's pains were primarily in her legs and hips however she has had neck and shoulder aches.

These only tend to be sporadic and don't seems to last more than a few days,at a time.

The clinicians don't put this down to GVHD and paracetamol seems,to be all she needs.

She is now 2 years post SCT and the aches are becoming far less frequent.

The only medication she is now on and has been for over 12 months is penacillin, purely as a precaution  to infection and  has only been taking this an no other meds, she has been very lucky.

• I think most post sct patients will suffer with joint issues at some point.

You body and immune system has taken an enormous battering over the period of pre and post sct treatment, aches and pains in joints will  inevitably be an issue, but with adequate pain relief you should get through this OK. 

If however the pain gets worse or you cannot help the pain, you must contact your team to investigate.

• Hi  ...... like  has said joint pain is indeed normal following such a demanding process like an Allo SCT...... as my SCT consultant said...."going through SCT was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training"

Think doing the London Marathon... and a boxing match without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey your body has been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality.

My my neck and arm muscle pain lasted for about 2 years but as I got stronger and became more active I was able to move on even although I was still having these pains. Treatments was basic pain meds and a weekly cancer specific circuits class where I was given specific exercises to strengthen where my muscle wastage had happened - mainly my arms, neck and legs.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the quick response. I will mention the pains when I am in for blood checks this week. Lovely to hear your wife is doing well.

Take care 

AF55

• Thanks Mike in the big scheme of things I have been very lucky,  have had very few issues and have been well since leaving hospital.

AF55