Hair loss

• 10 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi. I have so far had no hair loss from my MM treatment, but I have been told that I will lose it during my stem cell transplant. I have short hair anyway,but I am considering shaving it before I go in as the thought of finding handfuls of hair does not appeal to me. I have some  headscarves already and have been practicing tying them up and  a wig provided by my clinic. What have others done? Any advise would be great. Thanks 

• Hi  I lost my hair a few times over my treatments including during SCT.

The chemo used for conditioning is a short strong hit and yes this will result in hair loss. In my case I chose to shave my head before I went into my second Allo SCT as it was just one thing less to stress about.....  and I had a few warm beanie caps as SCT Units can be on the cold side due to the aircon.

The first time my hair came out it was not great to wake up during the night with clumps of hair in my mouth and on my pillow so went straight in the shower and shaved the lot off.

It's interesting that I did not have chemo for the conditioning for my first Allo so would not have lost my hair but I had already lost it in the salvage treatment I had had. But this conditioning was very specific to my type of Lymphoma.

You may find these links Checklist for SCT Unit  and Top tips for stem cell transplants helpful as you get ready for your SCT

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi sunshine1

The nursing staff shaved my head for me the day before the STC. I wore little light weight beanie hats. I couldn’t keep the scarves secure enough. I also had a wig but only wore it 2 or 3 times as it wasn’t comfortable. You’ll find comfort is paramount. The web site Etsy have a nice selection of hats… and scarves. Keep your chin up! I now have a great head of hair and just got my highlights done last week. I’ve forgotten now what it was like to have no hair  xx

• Thanks for reply. I have decided to 'brave the shave' for Macmillan before I go in for my STC  . I might as well have some fun and raise some money for a good cause too!

• Well done you and doing this gives you a measure of control.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Sunshine. How are you doing?

• Hi. I. Feeling  great. 

Mu husband  shaved my head last week which was quite liberating. I'm using  colourful headscarves!! I have raised £2148 so far which I'm amazed at.

I go in for my SCT on Monday  so I'm busy getting my suitcase packed. 

• Great! Your an inspiration already. I will be thinking about you xx Joanne

• Hi  we looked like we were going on a World Cruise as both of us were going to be away from home for a month due to my SCT unit being down in Glasgow.

Have you been told what conditioning treatment you are going to be having to take down your immune system? 

Edit - I just noticed on your other post you are having Melphalan, make sure you suck those Ice lollies until you have a massive freeze brain - Melphalan and Ice

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I will be having melphalan! 

My suitcase is big, it will look like I'm going on holiday.. I'll be at the Queen Elizabeth in Glasgow too. Hopefully I might have a view  of Glasgow from the window,or the carpark!!

My husband is planning on working while I'm in so he can get plenty of time off to look after me when I'm back at home. He will visit me at weekends. There's always WhatsApp!!

• I have never had the chance to visit the rooms in the QE but I have talked with a few local folks who said that they were well set up. 

I have said before that even although my wife was down living in a family room next to the ward in The Beatson she was up town with the credit card a lot or across in Edinburgh at our daughters as I was sleeping a lot due to the antihistamines I had to get….. but she was also working remotely from the Friends of The Beatson.

It’s actually a good plan for your husband saving up his time off for when you are home as that first period of time is when you most likely need more support as the safety blanket of the amazing ward staff is removed…… I think you said you were not far away from the unit….. once I was home we were doing the Inverness to Glasgow (9 hr) round trip once a week for the first month then every second week for a month for checkups - that was hard work.

Just trust in the team - they have seen it all before so you are in safe hands.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge