relapse and next step

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

hello everyone, I had Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 4 last year. Had a pet scan last April which showed complete metabolic response so carried on the treatment until August 2020. I had a ct scan in the September that showed a 2cm lump still in my chest near throat, I could feel it. My consultant said it was scar tissue. I never believed her, never saw her again until a year later after I had to complain. 

I have been getting other symptoms, wasn't listen to so demanded a ct scan. yesterday I have been told its back, 10cm mass in chest. I will need stem cell transplant and hose dose chemo. I am 60, still recovering from the last treatment and not healthy at all. I am terrified that my body will not cope with the proposed treatment. How have you done if you had this?

• Hi janic and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike  and I help out around our blood cancer groups including our SCT group.

Sorry to hear that you are looking down the SCT tunnel. I have had two Allo (donor) SCTs June 2014 (at 58) and Oct 2015 (at 59) so understand this journey rather well.

I will say that the SCT Consultants will not allow you into the SCT process if they thought you could not cope with the treatment.

You can hit my community name to see my story but you will see that I have some existing health conditions including asbestosis so it was touch and go if my lungs could deal with SCT but as my prognosis was not great we rolled the dice……. and 6 years on I am doing great.

I won’t hid the fact that the SCT journey can be challenging but it is all do-able.

Happy to talk more and answers questions ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge